Together, Part II

"Empires rise, empires fall

Will you be my constant through it all?"

- Quiet, Jason Mraz

_________

It was evening time when I finally looked up from the textbook I'd been reading, the armchair beneath me surely etched with my weight.

Ed's voice rang clear in my head.

We should hit the town.

I tilted my head. "What do you mean?"

Ed coughed, eyes locked on mine as his gloved fist partially covered his mouth. "Uh, y'know," he said, "just go out. Take a break from everything."

Well, I guess he was right. We were always traveling, and it was rare that we took an actual break that wasn't a nap on a train.

I smiled, nodded. "Sure."

He grinned, hand disappearing into his coat pocket. "Great! I'll give Al a heads up."

I blinked. Why would Al have to prepare for anything?

"A... heads up?"

Edward nodded, eyes pleasantly curved as he smiled. "Sure. He's busy with all those books, anyway."

"You mean..." It would just be us? The two of us?

Ed suddenly looked away, fingers pushing together as he hunched. "I-I mean, I was thinking dinner, and I know he just watches us eat, so—"

"Oh." My eyes went wider, his implication sneaking in. "OH."

Ed grinned sheepishly, and I caught the sight of a faint blush on his cheeks.

"O-only if you want to," he told me, and the sound of my name just brought a familiar uselessness. A stupidity.

What do I have to lose, except a friendship?

The smile I gave came naturally. Foolishly easy. A mask that was permanently etched into my skin.

"Sure," I said. "Just give me a few to get ready."

"Sure," Ed returned, and left me to my devices. I withdrew a dress from my bag, smoothing out the wrinkles with strong strokes of the palm. As foolish as it was, I slipped on heels—shoes that weren't engraved with alchemic circles and arrays.

Ed's expression... The smile, the hue of his face... It made the sacrifice worthwhile.

We walked around for a moment, a path that eventually lead both of us to tuck inside a cozy dinner with hot chocolate that warmed the very pit of my gut.

He suddenly looked up, and lowered his mug until his lips were revealed.

"You wanna head to the hotel's rooftop later?"

I tiled my head. What would we do up there?

Before I could ask, his brows lightly etched together, golden eyes avoiding mine. Looking at the place where the table met the wall.

"I hear there's a nice view."

So after we were done, we slipped into the hotel again, riding the elevator until there were no more floors, and slipping to the rooftop with the last of the stairs.

The view was enough for my breath to go away.

We sat with our legs out on the edge, city buzz beneath our feet. And then, slowly, Edward stood.