Reunion, Part II

_____________

The sound of a heartbeat is an amazing thing. How it shows each palpitation with spikes of a flatline. I spoke to Edward and Winry about this, as we patiently waited for Alphonse to regain his strength.

Ed just sat there beside her, eyes focused but searching the floor. I'd never felt so helpless

I tried something; I caught his attention with the sound of his name. He perked up, golden hook of his hair standing a little at attention.

I asked him what the last thing he remembered was. And he told me something surprising.

"Putting my hands on the transmutation circle, the one to bring back my mom." His eyes squinted. "Why do you care, anyway?"

I didn't have an answer. I couldn't say how we were engaged, how much my heart yearned for his presence.

I just waited; sometimes, it's all you can do.

_____________

After a few days of sleep, Alphonse Elric awoke. With bleary eyes, he smiled, and... for the first time, I saw him. No longer a mask, no longer a helmet or a suit... he was human.

I stepped forward, and his arms embraced me as mine embraced him. He hugged me, weak muscles somehow still so strong. He hugged me, and when I was done, Ed took my place.

Winry joined soon after, and just like that, we were family.

I smiled, tears in my eyes as I pulled away.

"Let's go fill you up."

Alphonse grinned, and as he slipped out of bed, he told us how tired he was of hospital food. Even if it was ediable, it didn't mean it was good.

We all laughed at that, and another journey began.

_____________

We traveled for days, and it was just like old times. Us in one booth, tracks below and sky above. And when sunset bled into darkness, I wasn't scared. When we were all in one room, moonlight shining between Ed and me, I wasn't scared.

I was worried for that brilliant brain of his, my own constantly tumbling around with the question of how to trigger memories. I had no experience with memory loss, despite my previous desire for it.

I yearned for a touch I may never get again.

But things have a way of changing, and like evolution tells us, we all get better overtime. Even the worst of us grow, in some way.

_____________

I spoke most days, telling Ed small stories of our travels. And gradually, that brain of began to piece together a ghost of a puzzle.

He asked more questions, as time stretched on. And as train tracks led us to the East, we spoke of going further.

They had both grown strong, in a few week's time. And I knew it was on Al's mind; I knew he wanted the train tracks to turn into Xing streets.

So, I spoke to both of them, my voice light as I looked out the window, looking at the passing blur of trees and travelers.

"We should travel," I said, turning my stare to Al. "I've always wanted to go to Xing."