Just Below the Surface

We were on the outskirts of Central, when it hit.

I only caught sight of a small bomb, a figure high in the sky, and a sweeping kick aimed at my head.

I ducked as an explosion rang out, and when the smoke cleared, when the shaking stopped, a small part of Al's front plate was missing. A sacrifice, an exchange for Ed's safety.

"Al!" Ed's voice, but before he could do anything, he jumped, narrowly avoiding a cleaver for an arm.

I focused on the Homunculus in front of me, its long neck reaching out, face shining into a mirror.

I only caught the glimpse of my jaw before my eyes shut.

I was weak

useless

what good did I posses? What power did I bring?

Nothing.

There wasn't anything I could do.

I heard Ed calling, shouting my name but I was deaf. Dumb. Mute. I couldn't do anything but stand there, feeling the Homunculus pull back his arm in an attempt to attack.

My eyes opened, wanting to see the color of my own blood. But his red coat was a blur, a flash as he slid in front of me, blocking the attack with his automail arm.

"What the heck are you doing?" he called over his shoulder, arm shaking from the weight against it. I just shook my head, taking a step back from it all.

What was I thinking? I couldn't do this.

An alarm went off in the back of my head and I ducked, feeling the wind sweep upwards as a blade sliced the air above me. I pivoted, ramming the front of my ankle against the Achilles's of the Homunculus trying to attack. It worked; balance was lost instantly and they fell, landing on the ground bottom-first.

I pressed my shoe to the Earth, and that's when the pain began.

It was sharp; a bullet to my calf muscle. I grounded my teeth in pain-a rebound?!

I looked up, scrambling upright, standing tall as the Homunculus rose as well.

They stared at me, wind sweeping through both of us, and then they charged.

I stepped to the side, avoiding the attack, and reached out to their outstretched arm. Popping the elbow and breaking the limb. With them in place, I activated the transmutation circle on my left shoe. A spike sped out of the concrete, embedding the monster from the groin to the forehead. Blood spraying out like a fountain.

"W-Winry..."

I turned, seeing Ed wide-eyed. Nearly looking like he might cry from the fear. He stared up at the Homuculus, and I heard a voice I hadn't heard before.

"You hurt me... you just left... just like your father!"

Electricity rose in volume, behind me, and I quickly ducked.

I didn't think, as my hand slammed into its chest. I only thought this is how we get it done.

My makeshift claws were submerged in tendon and muscle and blood. The points all came together, all five of them, and just as fiercely, I ripped out the stone. Reducing the Homuculi to ash.

My first real kill.

"Brother!"

I turned at Alphonse's voice, seeing Ed bowed forward, hands threaded through his hair.

"They only show you what you're scared of!" Al continued, fighting off a Homunculus of his own. "It's not real!"

Ed took in a sharp breath, and charged, automail fingers transformed into spikes.