Resembool, Part I

"I was just a boy far from home

I became a man when you came along"

- A Long Time Ago, Jim Croce

___________

I watched Ed get dressed, one hand feeling the indentation he'd left in the bed.

"Winry..." and just like that, word trapped themselves against my throat.

Ed paused, shoulders rolling as he looked back at me.

"Winry?" he repeated before reaching over to pick up his shirt. "Yeah what about her?"

I kept my mouth shut, wondering about the strange switch in tone. It was almost like...

"We're seeing her today," I replied, sitting up. "Aren't you excited?"

With his face hidden from me, Edward shrugged. He put on his tank top, picking up his coat immediately after. Not taking his time with it, like he normally did.

"Visiting an old friend," he commented. "Doesn't need a parade."

I felt my lips drop into a one-sided frown. "Yeah, but—"

Knocks came to our door.

Ed shifted his weight back, leaning over as he called out.

"Yeah, Al?"

"Train leaves in forty-five minutes," the hollow voice echoed out. I swallowed, looking down. Looking away from the door like it was another reflection.

"'Kay," Ed replied, hopping one boot on. "Thanks. We'll be there."

As Al's steps faded, Ed looked to me. "You should get dressed."

I nodded, stare turning down to my nightgown. White and practical; just like the rest of me.

I barely smiled at my own joke, slipping off the bed and beginning to get ready for the day.

__________

True to his word, we were on the train forty-five minutes later. Ed boasted about this, both hands on his hips. But when we got on, the alchemist was quiet. Incredibly so, as if we were at a funeral.

I tilted my head to the side. "Is everything okay?"

He looked up, one half of his hair hanging into his eye. A memory flashed; being on the train to Dublith, a conductors voice announcing Rush Valley overhead. My own stomach curling into knots, just like it was now.

"Yeah," he replied, brushing his hair out of the way. "Everything's fine." He shortened my name again, breaking some inner wall. Maybe it was the memory, being close to something so far away, but either way something broke. Like always.

I smiled through the pain. "Okay," I said. "Just making sure."

He smiled enough for his eyes to curve, and I could only think of how he looked underneath me. Eyes winced in pain as he held himself back from climax.

I swallowed, throat suddenly dry, and looked away. Looking to the scenery as it passed by. Ed raised a brow, confused, and Al continued reading. Flipping to another page, filling the stillness between us.

This might be a long train ride.

__________

"Resembool. This stop, Resembool."