With Rest

I rose early, blinking at the clock. Sunlight had partially answered my question, but the clock confirmed it was after eight. I suppose we were taking it easy today.

I padded to the kitchen, beginning to fry up some eggs and boiling a pot of coffee for Edward and I. I smiled at the thought, eyes directed to the ground. To the feet I was crossing.

I uncrossed them, resting the heel of my right on the toes of my left. Simple, again, but something about it brought a smile to my face.

Dragged footsteps rose my attention to somewhere outside of myself. I turned, watching Ed stride out of his room, dressed in a white tee and blue boxers.

"Morning," he yawned, shuffling a hand through his hair.

Another reason to smile. "Good morning," I replied, turning away to tend to the eggs.

I pushed them around a few times, some part of me surprised to keep this smile on my face for so long. It must be a world record.

I nearly laughed at the thought, fingers of my free hand curling in anticipation. I noticed Ed lean against the counter beside me, felt his stare even before I heard him speak.

"What're you smilin' for?" he asked, looking in front of himself as he did so.

I simply shrugged one shoulder, flipping over a spatula-full of egg. It sizzled in response, from the bacon grease I had left inside.

"I'm just... Happy," I replied, my eyes curving.

Ed gave a smile as well, brushing his bangs from his eye.

"I'm glad," he told me, the sound of my name sounding... Not so painful.

Heat tinged my face, and I bowed my head a little, sure the blush was running across the deer-spot like trail of freckles that dashed across my nose.

"Thanks, Ed," I replied.

He nodded once, and his head leaned back, nearly hitting the top cupboard. He grinned at the coffee pot. "And you made me coffee too!"

I smiled, nodding quietly. "That's right."

Ed relaxed, shoulders lifting and clicking at the deflation. He looked over to me, holding my curious stare.

It was as if time stopped. I felt myself become a bit weightless, looking into his eyes. Seeing his smile increase at one corner, and seeing his bangs swing a little as he tilted his head to one side.

"Good morning!" Alphonse exclaimed, jolting me out of the trance.

I jumped, the shock nearly forcing the spatula from my hand. I held on tighter, focusing on the eggs a bit more.

"Mornin', Al," Ed replied, obviously amused at my fear.

I tried to swallow down my heartbeat, letting the spit sweep through my throat and my chest, never alleviating the jackhammer of my heart.

"The train doesn't leave 'til 11:30," Al was saying, "so I figured we could take a look at the map and see where we're headed towards next."

"Sure thing," Ed replied, voice a tiny bit muffled due to his lips against the coffee mug. I blushed a little, heat dusting my cheeks, but I wasn't sure why I was blushing. Was it...

I blushed even harder, barely hearing Al's voice. Was it truly because I was thinking of Ed's lips? Am I that childish?

Butterflies erupted in my gut, and I couldn't help but smile even more.

The sound of my name cracked my reality. I looked up, seeing Ed with his hand in his jaw, a melting smile on his face.

"What'cha thinkin' 'bout?" he asked, teasing me.