Fixing What Breaks

I woke up the next morning to the sound of him getting dressed. I watched his back for a moment, studying all the scars lining his skin with a half-asleep brain. Then memories caught up to me and I closed my eyes again. I heard his automail shift, arm giving the slightest of clicks as he turned to look at me from over his shoulder.

"I don't wanna go through today fighting like this." he told me, again saying my name. But the word was much softer; much like how he always said it.

"Let's go back to Resembool then." I retorted. "You can start the day off by apologizing to Winry."

I expected him to at least get a little bit angry. When I opened my eyes, he was still standing there, in the tank top and his pants. Still turned and looking at me from over his shoulder. Finally, he looked back, posture hunching as he sighed.

He shifted, boots dragging against the floorboard as he turned around to me, keeping his eyes to the ground.

"I wouldn't know where to begin." he said. A shrug came to him, weak as he continued to avoid my stare. "With my apology to you, to Al... To her..."

A hand rose, fingers resting between the strands of his bangs. His eyes shut as he spoke. "She's always been there for us, when we've needed her to be..." He stayed quiet, and distantly I felt his anger before it even breached onto his face. "But... Dammit!"

"What, Ed?" I was practically yelling now, somewhere lost on the map to hysteria. "What is so terrible that you can't tell me?!"

"Forget it!" the word was thrown as he stormed out, suitcase in hand. The suitcase that I should be holding!!

"This is what she means, Ed!" I put my arms out, gesturing to him. "You don't open up!"

He stopped at the doorway, back hunched, and I only saw a flash of Edward's mirth before he was suddenly over me. His forearms next to my face, pressing against the mattress and holding him up above me. He leaned in close, and beneath that anger I saw a hint of hurt in his eyes.

"You really think I've never opened up with you?" His left hand clawed against the pillow above my head, not quite becoming a fist. Dozens of memories shot into me. "You really think..." He leaned in closer, letting me really see those eyes. The hurt beneath the anger, the emotions that leaked into his voice as he continued on. "After all we've been through and everything we have done... You think you haven't seen anything new? That you haven't seen the sides of me Winry's only dreamt of?"

I kept my breath stable, keeping my focus on him. On those golden eyes that were pleading now. Begging for me to understand, to answer him.

I gathered up a bit of courage.

"What happened between you and Winry?" I asked.

He was off of me as quickly as he got on. I watched him pull on his coat, the end flourishing out once again. It just reminded me of the way it had whipped when he turned away from Winry, leaving her standing half-collapsed against the doorway.

I had to make him go back... I had to help make things right.

"What're you getting out of this?" he asked me. "What's with all the pushing?"

Images shot into me. I knew why I was doing this; part of the reason, anyway.

"I..." My mouth felt dry, the sound of my voice cracking out between my lips.

He was waiting for me to answer, staring with one hand in the pocket of his coat again. One brow quirked in half-irritation. I recollected my anger.

"Don't try turning this on me!" I shouted.

"God, you're just like her..." With that, he left, the doorknob hitting the side of the wall from the force of him opening it.