Happy Birthday, Ed

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BROTHER!"

Streamers and confetti popped out, and like Al had told me to do, I blew on the small rolled up noise maker. The plastic tube unraveled, releasing a loud whine. I took it out of my mouth, holding it a few inches away and failing to suppress a grin from the sound it just made. It tickled a little, too.

I caught sight of Ed grinning at me as well, a stream of confetti finishing its glide over to his hair. He didn't bother to pick it off, letting it hang and swing as his head turned over to Al. But he couldn't avoid the bone-crushing hug his brother was wrapping him in.

"I can't buh-lieve it's been eighteen long years since you came out of Mom!" Al cried out, swinging Ed around a little.

Ed rested his forehead against Al's shoulder, and if he was trying to hide another grin or a blush, then he wasn't doing a very good job of it.

"Thanks, Al," he said, light laughter at the beginning of his words.

Al swung his body, practically throwing him off and putting him right in front of me. Edward's head dipped, noses nearly touching and both of us giving a small sound of surprise. He leaned back, straightening again and his eyes staying wide. His face growing even redder.

At a loss for what to do, I quickly put the device back in my mouth and blew again, enough for the plastic to roll out but not sound. The tip hit his nose, earning me a small smile.

"Happy birthday," I said out of the corner of my mouth.

"Thanks," he told me, and I tried to ignore how my heart reacted, hearing that.

"What should we do for your special day?" Al asked, bright lights of his eyes blinking.

Ed shook his head, straightening his posture. "Nothin' special, that's for sure, Al. We'll just continue like always. It's nothing to get all fussy about--"

"But Brother!!" Al was skittering from side to side, and I imagined tears jetting from his eyes. "It's not a birthday unless you celebrate it!"

Ed adjusted his coat, thumbs lingering for a moment as he popped it out. "That's exactly what I'm sayin'."

I looked between them as they bickered, hands near my mouth. I didn't... If it were me...

"I think..." I swallowed, my throat dry as concrete. "We should do something."

They both looked to me, imaginary question marks on their heads.

Finally, Ed sighed, body bowing, eyes closing, and expression in purely playful defeat. "Yeah... Let's do something."

"YAY!" Confetti popped out behind Al. How did he plan for that?!

_____________

"So what should we do?" I asked, hands behind my skirt, both of them carrying Ed's suitcase. The luggage bumped against the back of my knees as I looked to them, walking backwards as they came forwards.

Ed sighed lightly, looking off to the side. "Whatever doesn't eat up our time," he said. "Train leaves at 10am for Yectora."

Al and I nodded, completely understanding. It was an important ride, one that might lead us to some answers. But that was for another time, another stroke of the pen.

Anyway, at that moment, I felt myself grow lighter. A little happier, knowing Ed had survived for this long. Long enough to officially become legal.

He must have noticed the smile on my face, the blush that graced my cheeks because he spoke my name in playful question.

"What're you up to, in that head of yours?"