Resembool, Part I

Start from the beginning

My name jolted me out of my sleep, twitching a leg and snapping my eyes wide. Ed leaned towards me, hunched over in the middle of our booth.

"You okay?" he asked me softly.

I instantly nodded, straightening, wiping the fatigue from my eyes. Anything to distract us from what a freak I was.

"Y-yeah," I replied. "I'm fine."

He nodded once, studying me, and I swallowed, forcing myself to meet his steeled gaze. He offered his hand.

"Well, c'mon, then."

I took it, nervously glancing to Al, who only smiled at me, oblivious as to what was happening down below. I stood up, feeling that heaviness re-center itself. Feeling the firmness of Ed's hand as well. Only one of these things I deserved.

I smiled a little to myself, feeling Ed's hand slip from mine. Going to hover by my shoulder blade, never making contact but obviously wanting to. Why the secrecy?

And all those times Winry was mentioned, too...

I held down a sigh, not wanting to analyze it. I could do so tonight; not now.

We stepped off the train, light air and distant sounds of farm animals greeting us. I noticed Ed grin wide behind me.

"Been a while, hasn't it?"

I noticed Al click his head in a nod, a bit hesitant, before realizing Ed was speaking to me. My fear was barely hid back before I forced out a grin, hand behind my head.

"Oh, definitely!" I replied quickly. "It's been more than a few years, that's for sure, but I'm glad to see this hasn't changed at all."

I laughed a little, too, part of my mind on the tension that made its way between us, when Ed had asked that. He simply grinned, laughing a little, and his hand came to my shoulder blade—actually touching this time—as we all began walking again.

We were the only ones off the train, which was a little rare. The dirt road was clear, a few cart tracks and horse hooves leading the way. A familiar road for me. I smiled.

"It really has been a long time."

I heard Ed and Al nod, and I wondered if Al had gotten any memory of me yet. But I suppose I was fairly forgettable.

I smiled past the pain. I was good at that, at least.

We made small talk, on the way to Winry's house. Ed and Al pointing out neighboring homes (even the one I had stayed in, to which I simply smiled) and neighboring people.

I looked towards the house, seeing something narrow and thin spinning towards us. The object sped closer, and I only had time to realize it was a wrench before the tool zoomed by. Ed ducked it, giving a satisfied grin before another, much heavier work tool slammed his face to the ground.

He picked himself up with his good arm, yelling at the house.

"Jeez, Winry, what'd you do that for?"

I turned, seeing Winry leaning over the balcony, one hand waving a long wrench in the air.

"You broke your arm again, you idiot! I can see how busted it is from here!"

Ed grinned, and I swear I heard the baa of a sheep somewhere off in the distance. He pushed himself up with his good hand, stepping to his feet again as he spoke, "Well, glad to see your aim hasn't gotten rusty."

"Yeah, unlike my automail!" Winry shot back. "You've been oiling and polishing it regularly, right?"

We started walking again, Ed waving a hand away. "Yeah, yeah. I've been doing the maintenance. It's second nature by now, trust me."