Miracles On 5th Street

Začít od začátku

He seemed to understand, drawing up to his full height, talking about we should try and get cleaned up before anyone saw us.

As we walked, Ed spoke about the next train out of Central. Getting a food-run that wouldn't result in broken armor and painful muscles. He said how we should probably get leaving soon, because the hotels in this city were probably all booked.

I could only think of myself.

My transmutation circle had rebounded. I was a complete causality; they had to see that by now.

"Ed..."

He turned, one brow perching in question. Patiently waiting as I held a hand to myself, fingers tight around my wrist.

"My leg... it was caused from a rebound." They had to know; they had to see what a causality I was...

The silence was something I staked my life on.

"It was probably something to do with the energy offset," Ed said, stare shifting over me. Saying what, I didn't know. "With the amount of crazy that's been going on, I wouldn't put some small rebounds as unlikely occurrences."

Al turned to him, thinking with one finger by his face. A question was on his mind, and soon enough, he spoke.

"You think it has something to do with the energy balance?"

Ed nodded, stare leaving me after a moment. He turned back, walking as he spoke. "Let's just keep an eye out for what happens next, yeah?"

We continued on.

The backstreets of Central were quiet, until a loud voice spoke in our direction.

"YO!"

Our attention perked, and I was surprised to see a tall hand in our direction. A grinning mouth, square glasses reflecting off sunlight.

Ed echoed my thoughts, but I felt myself shake a little. Seeing him again.

"Hughes?" There was a nervous grin in Ed's voice, I could imagine he'd stepped back, foot positioned to bolt. "What're you doin' here, you crazy guy...?"

"What am I doing here," Hughes scoffed, fists on his hips as he stopped in front of us. "I transferred here, or did you not read that memo that was sent out to your PO box?" His finger pressed against Ed's forehead, a piece of golden hair hooking out in response.

Ed grinned a little wider, actually nervous this time. "Ah, yeah. I forgot I had one of those!"

Hughes sighed, hand capturing the side of his face. "So, besides keeping up with military updates, what've you three been up to?"

Before either of us could reply, he was leaning forward, examining the rips in Ed's coat and the new marks in Al's armor. I'm sure I was more ragged than usual, but he barely spared me a glance as he finished speaking.

"You guys all look like you just walked through some kind of wild pitchfork convention! What in the heck happened?"

"Just a little scuffle!" Ed replied, and I was so happy for that brain of his. "Nothing to be worried about; absolutely fine! Got into a fist-tango with a few burglars, but it all worked out just fine!"

"Ah, yeah," Hughes put one hand in his pocket, the other coming to think by his mouth. "Those fist-tangoes can get pretty violent sometimes. I personally prefer the hook-hoedown, but MY DAUGHTER ELICIA'S GETTING INTO TAP DANCE!"

With photos waterfalling from his hands and to the spaces beside his feet, we were all rendered dumbstruck.

"He always finds some way to tie it in with his family."