Miracles On 5th Street

Start from the beginning

I shook my head, stepping back and feeling my weight sink into my right leg. Gently igniting that wound on my calf.

He didn't press me for more, but I saw his stare focus on my leg for a split second longer, as his attention began to pull around to the dig site. I forced my breath not to hitch, forced everything to stay frozen as he moved his attention away from me again.

"We should probably get going," he said. "Military will be here soon, and I don't think this is a good way to explain what I'm still doing as one of them." He gave a small smile, head bowed a little. "Plus, Mustang will have our asses if he sees we've been fighting."

So, at those words, we headed to the city, forgetting the partial trek we had made for food.

But I couldn't step for very long; it felt like my muscle was collapsing in on itself, twisting and the ends pressing together like an accordion.

I hated myself for the sound that escaped, too; a slight wince, but more than enough for them to notice.

Ed slid on his knees, hands immediately coming to my arms, stare alert and darting over me. "What's wrong?! You hurt?!"

I couldn't reply; my leg just felt like it was on fire. I winced out a sorry, and he forced me to lean back a little. Eyes shifting over, quickly examining me before widening at the spot I felt the most physical pain.

I felt a spark, some electrical current snipe through the pain when his hand curved around my calf. Gently cradling my leg, fingers supporting the incredibly tense muscle I couldn't relax.

He was focusing on the scar, other hand trailing along, and quietly he spoke, body snaked to one side a little, voice quiet.

"How'd this happen?" he asked. "Just a muscle spasm or...?"

"Y-yeah," I answered through my teeth. But my leg slammed to life again with a burst of pain, twitching it a little. Fuck, why was I lying to him?!

His hand hovered above the source of it all, and then he relaxed, stepping away and gliding my leg back down. Telling Al to repair the muscle.

"It'd be too risky," he said, shaking his head a little. "After what just happened with Al's suit..."

I understood; my eyes went wide, just imaging some spike made of twisted muscle slamming out of my leg.

"Y-yeah." My voice was distant, tremoring with pain and nervousness. "Good choice..."

Al smiled at me, hands clapping while he kneeled down. I couldn't smile back, sight twitching until darkness nearly squeezed my vision as I felt his hands come to my leg.

My muscle relaxed, pain subsiding to shockwaves. Ones that were fading quickly.

"Thanks," I murmured, eyes opening again. Feeling myself become a little drained, like someone had leaked part of my brain out of back-corner of my head.

"Of course!" Al helped me up, and I forced myself to give a small smile, seeing how wide his eyes were curved. "Is everything else alright?"

I failed to mask the surprise, instantly shaking my head. Holding my hands by my skirt again. "N-no, other than that, I'm fine."

At the sound of Ed's disbelieving growl, I tried to grin.

"Really!" I held up a hand. "Lesson learned; I'll let you know if anything wrong, promise."

He held my stare, posture still hunched a little. Mouth frowning in the smallest of ways, and I knew he was telling me I'd already promised him that before.

I... Wasn't going to go back on that one.

I grinned a little wider, holding up crossed fingers and trying to tell him this would be a physical check-up promise. Everything was fine!