He winced, some wound on his face pattering drops of red, adding to the others below.

"I can't..."

The words were barely spoken, barely audible underneath the sounds of Al fighting and the blood raining down.

"I..." His hand moved into a fist, a string of blood swinging from the space between his lips and the earth below. It landed, punctuating his words. "I can't..."

Lightning snapped, the shock enough to force me away from him. I stumbled back, catching myself on the ground behind me. Watching him heal with sparks and cracks of red. Repair all the wounds again. But the lightning was quickly dimming, and without thinking I moved. Gently placing my hand on his shoulder.

His hand found my arm, fingers clenching tight and palm pushing against me, trying to stand upright. Winces twitched into his face, and all I could do was watch. All I could do was offer him a support structure. Be the pillar he needed me to be.

His hold slipped, and I gripped his shoulder a little firmer, still trying to be soft with the motion. I felt like I couldn't breathe, like my own mind was floating from me. This couldn't be happening. I was having another nightmare. I knew I was.

Sparks started up, red lightning crackling along his chest, his face. I watched and took in the sights I could see, the cuts on his cheek sealing with foreign transmutation.

His hand pushed against me, and all at once he stood, human hand wiping the drying blood on his face. He was back, determination in those eyes of golden fire.

I could only hope to emulate it, one day.

Pushing off against a knee, I stood, immediately jumping back as a pointed shadow shot itself against Ed's automail blade. Ricocheting off, and as soon as it had gone into the ground, Ed charged forward, turning around and producing a wall with a clap of his hands and his palms against the ground. It was tall, the structure, with red and blue light crackling around it.

"Are you alright?" he asked, but I was stunned with confusion. He was... asking about me? He was worried about me?

"I'm... I'm fine," I said, and wiped a droplet of sweat off the side of my cheek.

With another dodge, Ed yelled out into the fray's noise.

"AL, NOW!"

"Right!"

Ed clapped, slamming his hands against the ground, and the earth below the Homunculus rose like a small tidal wave, quickly trapping him inside a cocoon of darkness. Simultaneously, another wave rose as well. An added layer. Another bout of protection. "Way too easy!"

I felt my own walls stir, seeing that small comparison. If only they knew... The monstrosity inside...

"Hey!" A voice squeaked, fists hitting the thick walls. "Lemme outta here!"

"No way." Ed grinned, laughing a little, his thumb passing his nose.

"Nice one, Brother!" Al smiled, returning Ed's thumbs-up.

"Old tricks work like a charm!" Ed sailed into the air, jumping straight up and over another attack. A thin bolt of shadow. Another one?

I looked over, seeing another Homunculus I had neglected before. But with the same strategy, the teen was sealed in darkness and we were free.

_____________

After a moment's discussion, we decided to head north. Back to the West again. After the point to go safer was raised, I briefly suggested we headed East. At Ed's expression, a closure of the eyes as he turned his back on me, swinging the suitcase over his shoulder, the topic died.