Ebb of the Night (Chapter 22)

22.

Doyle thought it would be easier if he and Kerra rented a car to head back to her home. He wanted more time to have her to himself without all the kids and family around to butt in. Plus Doyle wanted to be on top of his game when he spoke with Kerra's father and her uncle, Alpha Devin Byrne. Just the thought of talking to the Alpha about mating with his niece cause his stomach to flop about anxiously.

They were driving through the mountains, watching the fog raise from the valleys clouding their view from up on the mountain highway. Doyle would glance over frequently to take in Kerra's bright smile, she was clearly excited about the up coming news she was going to give her family.

"So where are we going to live?" Kerra asked suddenly, catching Doyle off guard.

"Well I'm sure we can stay in this little apartment my Uncle Jake has until we can find something more permanent. My mom and Ali actually used to live there before she met my dad."

"But we will find something of our own soon, right?"

"Definitely." Doyle cracked a smile as he cupped the side of Kerra's face. "I can't have my mate living in an apartment forever, now can I?"

"How many kids do you want?" Kerra asked as she turned her body as much as possible with the seat belt still wrapped around her.

"I never really thought about it, why? How many do you want?" A giddy sensation settled over Doyle as he finally felt able to ask those questions. There was no doubt that his kids would carry the werewolf gene and he'd bear another Omega. In Doyle's eyes nothing could be any better in his life right now.

"A bunch. I love kids and always wanted a small pack of my own." Kerra giggled as she reached across the middle of the car and snagged Doyle's free hand and held it tightly. "Is that okay with you?"

"What ever you want, baby." Doyle cut his eyes playfully at her then leaned over and kissed her as he kept his eyes on the road ahead of them.

Before long they found their way back into the valley and followed Kerra's directions to the Alpha's house. They pulled up out front as a few members of the pack were walking around the yard helping with yard work. As he cut the car off he noticed Alpha Byrne standing just outside the front door. Taking a deep breath Doyle unbuckled himself only to have Kerra grab his hand once more and squeeze it gently.

"It's okay, honey. He won't bite, much." She snickered with delight at her joke and the look on Doyle's face.

"Funny, Kerra." Doyle rolled his eyes as he pushed the door open and got out. He could see the look of confusion on the Alpha's face only seeing Doyle with Kerra.

Kerra jumped from her side of the car and dashed up the stairs to the house. "Uncle Devin!" She called as she launched herself into his arms.

"Kerra." He let out a hearty chuckle as he hugged her. "So care to tell me why you're here alone with Doyle?"

"Well.." She grinned as she turned to see him walking up the stairs slowly, like a man walking to his death. "How about we go inside and call Momma and Daddy over first?" The alpha paused for a moment looking her over carefully, then he nodded simply and walked back inside.

"You okay, Doyle?" Kerra asked as she waited for him on the porch.

"Yeah, I've never done this before and meeting parents alone is hard. But I'm not just meeting your parents I'm about to tell them your moving hours away from them to be with me. What if they don't agree with it?" Doyle asked seriously as he looked at Kerra grimly.