72. Past

At the Styles

Robin has his day off today and enjoys the time at home. The hustle and bustle of the past weeks has not left anyone unaffected. Especially his son is going trough a rough time. He seemed so hopeless and broken that Robin couldn't sleep for nights. The father regrets his constant absence. The own children remain children, even if they are almost grown up. They need the same affection and care as little kids. He blames himself for this and it's not easy for him to live with it. Maybe some situations could have been avoided, but maybe not.

>I cannot undo things. What happened happened. Things have calmed down somewhat since.< Robin thinks. He has reprobate himself over and over again for not being there.

Zayn doesn't live in the house anymore, that's why Rose moved in now. She is a heavenly creature, gentle, shy and yet stubborn. With Maria she has got a good companion. The maid understands Rose blindly and involves her in everyday things. For the blonde beauty this is the structure in everyday life and for Niall it's a relief. The girl looks cheerful. We decided together with Niall that Rose should get a tutor. That's why we are support her individual strengths and talents. We've talked to the Horans about this. Unfortunately they show little interest in their daughter. It's incomprehensible how the Horans abandon their own flesh and blood. I try to understand the boy in a way - his helplessness, his anger and his pain. He not only lost his sister and youth that night, but also his parents.

Robin's mind is back on Harry.

My son loves Zayn. Anne told me the other night. Both of us had no idea. How could we know? But I always thought he was the ladies'man par excellence. New girlfriends every week, secret dates - what boys of this age do. Then this handsome exchange student comes along and turns my son's head. Gradually all these pieces give a complete picture. I think of the Samosa evening when Harry came home drunk with his girlfriend and deeply insulted Zayn; our weekend in Brighton, which Harry refused initially and then came along. He must have been in a feeling of puzzlement and probably not aware of his homosexuality. All the more reason then for me to be glad, that all these problems have found a good solution. But what will happen if Zayn goes back to Pakistan after the year?

As the father of the family letting his thoughts run free, Maria enters the room. "Mr. Styles," she asks. He looks up and nods. "What is it, Maria?" he's still thinking. "Mr. Baker from Brighton is here and would like to see you," she says, "Who? Mr. Baker from Brighton? Are you sure?" he asks in surprise. The maid nods. "Let him in, Maria." The petite woman disappears again and a short time later the handsome doctor is standing in the living room of the Styles.

"Lee, my friend", Robin says joyfully, runs towards the doctor and shakes his hand. "You come at the right time. Today is my day off," he adds.

"Greetings, Robin. I was just around and thought I'd stop by to see you. I hope I don't come at a bad time, do I? "Not at all," he replied and winking at his neighbour. "When will you be back at the seaside again? This is the most beautiful season of the year," the doctor wants to know. "You know how it is. We have to work and no more time for anything else. But you are absolutely right. As a family, we should go back to the summerhouse, especially as we have got an addition to the family," reports Mr. Styles.

"So?" Mr. Baker dangerously raising his eyebrows. "Surely you remember the young girl who swallowed an overdose of drugs on the beach; Harry's girlfriend at the time, don't you?" Baker nods silently and seriously. "That was a bad thing, Robin. Who could forget that?" "Well, you're a doctor and you deal with accidents every day..." Mr. Baker interrupts the speech. "Robin, you're lucky her brother didn't report your son. Are you actually aware of her fate? She is a flower, a beautiful being whose life is ruined forever," he growls.

"Did you come to reproach me, Lee?" Styles hisses. "Of course I'm aware of the scale of ths tragedy. But all these years I had no idea. Rose now lives with us and gets the best support we can give her," he says in his defense.

Baker nods in agreement and his facial features become softer again. "Is she in the house?" he wants to know. Robin nods. "She owes you her life, Lee." The doctor waves his hand. "Not worth mentioning. Can I see her," he asks quietly. "Of course. I let Maria know. Wait a minute." Then he disappears from the room and his voice echoes through the house.

Dr. Lee Baker makes himself comfortable on the large sofa and tries to calm down. He last saw the pretty girl at the hospital. That was so long ago.

He is excited and hopes that her memory of him has not completely faded. Rose and he had a wonderful time before the accident. The relationship with Harry Styles was just a cover. He was with Rose. They loved each other on weekends and wrote each other on weekdays. The young woman was his great love. With the catastrophe the contact broke off. Her brother sent him a letter of thanks and told him of the touching relationship with Harry and an upcoming engagement. Lee didn't want to stand in the way and withdrew more and more. Inside he was desperate. He wanted to take care of his Rose and spend time with her. His affection for her is unconditional and honest. Niall would never have tolerated the two's relationship, so it remained hidden. Only he and Rose knew about it. After all, there is also a considerable age difference between you two. That was never a problem for Rose. His longing for the girl is so great that he used a spontaneous visit as an excuse to see her. Baker knew long ago that she lived with the Styles.

On the evening of the great debate, he actually came by spontaneously when he was in London at a congress. Through the half-open door he followed the conversations and got all the information. He decided not to interrupt the conversation and simply listened. Then he saw Rose rejoicing at a ring. Baker had tears in his eyes because he had always hoped to be able to put a ring on her finger one day.

Now the door opens. Lee Baker jumps up and stands there with a racing heart. A blonde girl giggles and comes through a crack in the door. When she sees Baker, her movements stop. Her mouth is open, the sky-blue eyes widen and in her face you can see that she is thinking. The brain seems to work intensively.

"Rose."That's all he can say. His eyes shine, his voice is hoarse. And then the sweet creature laughs, yes she laughs. "Lee," she says.