9. Samosa

Zayn

Today I finally called my parents. My first days were so hectic that I never had time for a longer conversation. The family is happy that I like London so much. I didn't report my problems with the son of the host parents. My mother would only worry unnecessarily. It was followed by admonitions to work hard at school and to be polite to the host parents. Just before we finished our call, my mother suggested me cooking for the host family. After all, they didn't know the Pakistanian food. This is really a good idea. When I told Anne and Robin about it, both were excited. 

"Zayn, I'm full of expectation! That's so lovely of you!" She said, hugging me tightly. Robin patted my shoulder approvingly. 

"Well, I'll make dinner."

Together with Maria I am going to the weekly market in Notting Hill. There are tons of vegetables, meat and fruits and spices. We buy chicken and beef, various vegetables and Indian spices. The recipe for the Samosa I have in mind. My mother taught me very early how they are prepared. Samosa are stuffed, fried dumplings and are mainly filled with curry. I love it.

Hours before dinner, we are in the kitchen and cook. The table is festively set and I'm excited. Anne, Robin and Gemma are already in the dining room and we serve the fabulous samosa. One place remains empty - Harry's. It's not like I'm really craving for his company. Nevertheless, I am disappointed. His absence turn out how rude and uninterested he is. Today I could have shown him something of my culture. He's an idiot, I think.

The door flies open and a giggling Harry stumbles in. He is drunk and holds a girl by the hand. Robin jumps up startled and take both out into the hallway. We hear him scolding. Then footsteps to the upper floor are audible. A door slams and then suddenly there is silence. 

"Excuse me," Robin says angrily. 

"We're not going to let the family casanova and one of his mistresses ruin this wonderful evening. This will have repercussions.", he says.

 We chat until late at night. Mary keeps us company. By candlelight and wine, I think of Pakistan.