25. Campfire

Zayn

Robin sits in front of the house, preparing the campfire and is whistling a tune. It is late afternoon. Anne is with Maria in the kitchen and takes care of the food. 

"Can I help you?"

 "No, Zayn, I've got everything under control, I'm ready in half an hour, tell the others," he laughs.

I go back to my bedroom to get a warm jumper. Harry stands in front of his travel bag and rummages in it. He pulls out some clothes and puts them on the bed. 

"What are you planning to do?" I want to know.

 He hesitates. 

"Harry?" 

"Zayn, what do you want? I'm going out," he replies.

" Your father is preparing everything in the garden for the campfire," I admonish him.

 "So what?", He replies. 

"Harry, I mean, it's a family weekend. You can't do that. Where are you going anyway?" I ask disappointed. 

Why does he always leave the family? 

"Zayn, I'm not answerable to you for the way I spend my free time. I never wanted to go on this family weekend," he says defiantly, "So just leave me alone."

Then he arranges his clothes and treats me as if were absent.

"Well then. How will you get away from here? "I dare say one last word.

"Zayn, what do you want from me? Don't you notice that I am annoyed by your eternal questioning? Why don't you just take care of your business?" He exclaims visibly annoyed. 

"Haz!"

 "Once and for all, leave me alone! You only make it worse! Call Niall if you need someone to talk!"  he yells now. 

Just two steps and then I can reach Harry. Hurriedly I reach for his arm to get his attention. 

"And don't touch me!" Harry is so confused, he holds his head between his hands. 

He could freak out any minute. My hands are on his shoulders, just holding him tight. Slowly, his body relaxes.

 "I miss the old Harry," I say quietly. 

"What?" He whispers.

 "I miss the old Harry. Where did he go? Why are you so changed? Even your sister noticed it."I tell him. 

Harry turns around to me. The emerald green eyes darken. For several minutes he looks at me silently.

"People change, Zayn."

" Why?" He doesn't answer.

 "Harry, let's go to the campfire together. Your father was so looking forward to it. Don't disappoint him."

The whole family is sitting around the campfire. Anne and Robin reminisce from earlier days. Gemma roasts a sausage on a spit and holds it over the flames. There is a peaceful mood.

I watch Harry from a stealthy angle. His face is warmed by the fire and makes his cheeks appear rosy. His unruly curls he has tied into a braid. I want to stroke his head and kiss the tip of his nose. This sadness in his face hits me deeply. There is nothing left of the rebellious Harry.

Later, when the fire is almost burned down and the Styles went back in the house, I stand up and sit next to him. It's just the two of us still sitting here.

 "Nice that you stayed, Haz." I say.

 "It has meant a lot to your parents," I add.

 "And how about you?" He asks suddenly. 

"What do you mean by that?" I want to know.

 "Did it mean anything to you too?" His look is expectant.

 "Yes," I breath. Now he stands up. 

"Thank you, Zayn." 

He is already on his way to the house.

 "Wait, Harry!" I shout. "Please, wait!" My fingers reach for his.

 They are intertwine and hold on tight.

The fire flickers and we stand opposite each other, holding hands. 

"Harry, I do not want you to change. Your sadness and your closeness really gets me down. You seem so strange."

 "Zayn, I can not keep my life going like this. I'm the school casanova who can choose the women. But I'm not like that! I'm not a bad person! That makes me unhappy."

 "Do not be so hard on yourself with your judgment. You're not a bad guy, your core is good." I reply.