26. Unsuspecting

Zayn

Back in London, everyday life has caught up with us again. Liam greets me at the entrance and  we go to class together. On the way he wants to know:

 "How was your weekend?"

 "It was very peaceful, Li, but also very beautiful." He laughs.

 "Did you have a fight with the son of the house again?" 

I shake my head. I notice that I forgot my book in the closet.

 "Liam, go ahead. I have to go back to my locker. I've forgotten my books." 

When I got there, I spot Niall in the foyer. Just as I'm on my way to him, I see him talking to Gemma. Her eyes are lowered and anxious. Niall talks to her. Quickly I hide behind a pillar and try to overhear the conversation, but the surroundings is too noisy and I don't understand a single word. 

What is going on there? Our conversation on the beach comes to mind. When I mentioned Niall's name, she reacted strangely and ended it abruptly. Now Harry gets there. It seems he's coming to help his sister. He says something to Gemma and she leaves the group. The two guys are facing each other. I see hatred in their eyes. Niall taps on Harry's chest with his index finger and talks to him. Shortly thereafter, they part and everyone goes to class. This is strange, I think. In the club it seemed like Harry and Niall were friends. With my book in hand, I'm going to class.

Liam and I spend our lunch break under a tree. We chat about various things and joke together. I remember that conversation Niall and Harry had this morning. It's always at the back of my mind.I can't get ride of the image of how hostile they were each other. 

"Liam ? Are Harry and Niall actually friends?" I ask him straight out.

 "Uhm ..." His voice is uncertain.

 "Zayn, you know ...". 

We are interrupted. Niall comes and sits down in the grass. 

"Zaynie!", He greets and gives me a kiss on the cheek. 

"Nialler!" I beam at him.

 "How was your weekend in the middle of nowhere?", He asks.

 "Any exciting things happened?" He chuckles, tapping on his thighs.

 "What are you thinking, Irishman, it was total seclusion," I reply.

 In the distance, I spot Harry. He is standing with his friends. Taylor joins at some point and he puts his arm around her waist. It cut me to the quick to see him with his girlfriend. Harry confuses me. I am not sure how I feel about Niall either.

After class I wait for Harry. I'm too late and see him already passing the gate. 

"Haz! Wait for me!", I call after.

 He stops. After all, we have the same way. "Let's go together.", I say out of breath.

 Harry is restless.

 "Zayn, I can't. I still have something to do," he replies contritely.

 "Oh, too bad. Where do you have to go?" I want to know. 

"That's none of your business." 

His gaze wander off and are restless. I see Niall coming at us.

 The blond guy hurries up and looks at Harry seriously.

"What's going on? " 

"I was just about to go home with Harry, Niall." I reply.

 "I don't think that's a good idea, do you Hazza?" He whispers.

 "After all, I'm Zayn's boyfriend." 

To emphasize his statement, he takes me in his arms and kisses on my forehead. Harry forces a smile and I feel uncomfortable.

 "Harry, my dear, don't forget your date." he adds.