CH 48 - "Your Time Has Come"

Harry moved to the only window that had a light on. He peered over the sill and could see the four remaining Death Eaters milling about the room.

"Could we Accio the coin?" Draco asked him and Harry could see his eyes scanning the floor.

"No, I don't think so. Hermione protected them too well in order to keep them away from Umbridge. We'll just have to keep fighting our way to it. We've only got four left and it's been surprisingly easy so far," he mused.

"I know, and that worries me," Draco said with a smirk. Harry winked at him in the darkness, his blond hair limp against his head. Draco reached up and pushed it off his face and Harry squeezed his hand.

"We make a pretty great team, don't we?" Draco nodded in reply and smiled down at him. Harry elbowed him gently and Draco nudged him back. He turned back to the window and studied the people walking around.

"Okay, so the back door is open which means they were probably listening for signs of us in the garden. If we can move quietly enough we should be able to get into the room from the hall without them hearing us and we can just use the same tactic we've used so far. Stay low to the wall and follow me."

They inched slowly up the steps and into the hall where they stopped at the door. He couldn't hear anyone speaking and he looked at Draco.

"Should we go in?" he mouthed. He watched Draco chew his lip and run his hand through his hair. He nodded and stood up and Harry followed. As they were about to turn into the room, they were shoved inside and they stumbled forward, still holding on to one another.

"Expelliarmus!" Their wands were pulled from their hands and they were knocked to the floor. Harry scrambled towards Draco and they helped each other to their feet, standing shoulder to shoulder.

"Why are you doing this? Killing Harry won't change the past. You know you can never come out on top!"

"Crucio!" Harry flinched away but the pain never came. Instead, Draco fell to the floor, writhing and groaning against the agony.

"Stop! He didn't do anything! It's me you want, not him!" Harry yelled and he dove for the man behind the mask. He grabbed for his wand but the man anticipated his move and shot a spell at him. He crouched and rolled to the side but he could feel the power of the spell whiz past his ear. Draco was struggling to his knees and Harry looked back to the smaller Death Eater who had their wands. He sprinted at them but the Death Eater tossed their wands across the room.

"We want you both. The Dark Lord's rise to power would have been successful if it hadn't been for you. If you had been killed, he would have never died, and we would have all the power. Our families, our friends, our world, would be as it should! Draco, if you had done as commanded to you we could have all been on top. But no, instead you were too afraid, you failed. The Mudbloods and the Muggles prevailed, once more, and we suffer everyday for it. My wife died! My children will never feel safe or be happy, and it's all because of you!"

"That's wrong and you know it," Draco said, still on his knees, his chin bleeding openly again. He wiped it on his shoulder and his shirt soaked in it. Harry wanted to go to him but he was afraid of provoking them further.

"What does it matter now if we were 'wrong' as you say? We have lost everything, but we will get our justice in your death!"

"I wont let you kill him," Draco growled and he shakily stood up.

"You wont stop me," he growled back and raised his wand. Harry knew there was nowhere he could hide.

"Protego!" Draco yelled and in his hand was a wand from one of the other Death Eaters. Harry had forgotten about those. He ran to Draco and tackled him to the ground. They rolled towards the wall and away from the spells shooting their way. Harry took one of the spare wands. The Death Eaters rushed forward and shot a volley of spells and curses at them. Harry felt a searing pain on his shoulder and Draco slapped his shirt to stifle the smoldering sleeve. The wand in his hand felt stiff and angry but it was still responding to his command.