CH 37 - The Ticking Filled the Room, Keeping Time With His Heart

A few Saturdays after school had resumed, their first Quidditch match of the new year was upon them. Harry and Ron were the first ones in the dressing room going over strategy and game play.

"Ron, I wanted to ask you something."

"Sure, go ahead." He leaned his broom against the wall and sat down to listen.

"Well," Harry began, nervously tapping his foot, "have you ever thought about marriage?"

"Marriage? Well, I think you should probably take me on a couple dates before you ask me, mate," Ron laughed. Harry chuckled, and Ron continued. "In all seriousness, though, yes I have. Hermione is the one, you know. She's my other half, my heart and soul, she always has been. Over Christmas, we talked about us, that talk, you know? We don't know when we'll get married, but I kind of just asked and she said there would never be anyone as wonderful as me and she'd marry me every day." Ron's cheeks pinked, and he laughed.

"I'm happy for you guys, and a little upset you didn't tell me sooner!"

"Well, it's not really official or anything and we've just kind of been enjoying the little secret. But what about you, what made you ask?"

"Well, some time ago, Draco said he's planning on a long life with me, and to be honest, the thought has been going around my mind as well. He's my other half, and I want to spend forever with him. Do you remember when I told you Aunt Petunia gave me a watch that belonged to my grandfather? Well, I've been thinking about giving it to Draco. Kind of as an 'I love you, please be mine forever' type thing. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah, it does. I think its a great idea. Do you think he's the marrying type?"

"Yeah I do," Harry grinned and he looked down at his hands. He was certain Draco would accept the gift and the idea warmed his heart. He looked up when the rest of the team came in and Ron started in on their pep talk. Harry donned his robes and once Ron was done, they sat and waited for their call to the field.

"Do you remember in First Year when you found the Mirror of Erised and brought me to see it?"

"I do," Harry nodded and smiled, remembering Ron's excitement at the time.

"I never would have thought it would have all come true. Head Boy, and thanks to you, quidditch captain." Ron smiled and shook his head.

"You deserve it all, you know," Harry told him.

"Thank you, Harry." They both looked up at the whistle that came from the gate.

"You're welcome," he replied as they mounted their brooms. They high-fived and sped off onto the field.

Ron was a great captain, and it showed as the game progressed. They played with all they had in them and in a little under an hour the game was won when Harry caught the snitch. He raced around with the others, scanning the crowd and he saw Draco seated with Blaise and Theo near the top.

"Great game everyone!" Ron exclaimed as he clapped them on their backs. "Now it's time to celebrate!" They made plans for a long, loud party back in the common room, Harry promising Ron he'd come as soon as he had seen Draco. He fought his way against the crowd of students making their way back to the castle.

"Great game, Harry," Blaise said as he and Theo walked past. Harry nodded at him with a smile and Theo saluted him with a grin.

"Thanks, Blaise. Thanks Theo," Harry replied, and he smiled after them. He walked to the back of the stadium where he had promised to meet Draco afterwards. He was leaning against a tree, a smile stretched across his face and he was clapping slowly.