CH 4 - He Didn't Pay Him Any Mind

Harry had been lying in bed since five unable to fall back asleep. He had had very vivid dreams all night. He had dreamt of his parents and Sirius, and of Remus and Tonks and little Teddy. He had even dreamt of Snape and Dumbledore and Draco Malfoy. He had tried not to watch him too much during the previous night, but it had been hard. He was surprised to see that Draco had all but ignored them the whole time. Throughout Professor McGonagall's whole speech his eyes had remained on her and not until the very end did they wander over. He just looked at him, no smirks or grimaces, just watching him.

Ron woke up shortly after the sun started peeking into their room and he rushed to get his clothes changed. He and Hermione had to be in the Great Hall to help pass out class lists and direct students. Harry leisurely dressed and then Neville stirred, slowly waking up on his own. Dean and Seamus had opted not to come back and so it was just the three of them in the room. Harry tied his tie and Neville sat up, rubbing his eyes.

"Ready for class, Neville?"

"I am. Going to get through this year and never look at a book again," he chuckled. He looked at his watch and rolled back over, mumbling something about five more minutes. Harry crawled out of the portrait hole and made his way down through the castle. In the halls he saw students milling about and smiled at group of first year Hufflepuffs and Slytherins comparing class schedules. This was the camaraderie that the school was supposed to have. No blood status, no one better than another. He wondered what Draco would think about that. He walked into the Great Hall and immediately scanned the Slytherin table but he wasnt there. Last night, tossing and turning, he had resolved not to rise to the taunts and jeers Draco would most likely throw their way this year. The last time his father had been arrested, he had been a real nightmare. Harry rubbed his nose absentmindedly.

Ron was standing with Professor McGonagall helping direct students and giving out instructions, so Harry found Hermione and she passed him his class list. He had all the mandatory classes and had decided to pick back up with Magical Creatures. He also had multiple free periods which he knew he would need in order to keep top marks. Even though Kinglsey had a spot for him as an Auror when he was ready, Harry felt he really needed to earn it.

First up today he had History of Magic and then later Double Charms. Tomorrow he would start the day with double Potions, Transfiguration, and then Defense Against the Dark Arts. He wouldn't have Care of Magical Creatures until Friday. He sat down and pulled some food onto his plate; he was going to need a hearty breakfast to get him through History of Magic first thing. He was reading over his schedule again when he noticed Draco walk in and take his class list from Hermione with a quiet thanks. She looked over at Harry with a pleasantly surprised look and Harry just shrugged at her. She continued passing out papers and Harry watched Draco. He sat at the end of the table again and Harry noticed the others in his vicinity looking at him with disdain and disgust. Harry narrowed his eyes at them. Draco had apparently noticed as well; he looked over at them and they all looked away but they didn't wipe the sneers from their faces. Draco rolled his eyes and looked up, catching Harrys eye. He raised an eyebrow at him and Harry realized his eyes were still narrowed. Draco rolled his eyes again and looked back down at his paper. Oops.

Harry looked back down at his plate and studied his schedule again when a shadow fell across his paper. He looked up and Ron sat down across from him. Ginny walked by as well, squeezing Ron's shoulder and flipping a rude gesture at Harry. He sat stunned for a moment and Ron just shrugged uncomfortably. Harry shook his head at him and could see behind him Draco talking with that Slytherin Theo Nott who was laughing. Harry narrowed his eyes at him again and grabbed his things and left.

***

"I thought it was funny," Theo said again after Draco had shushed him for the second time. They both grabbed their bags and books and went to walk out as well. "Ready for Potions?"

"I wont have Potions until tomorrow. Professor McGonagall made it so my schedule matches Granger and Weasley since they are Head Boy and Girl. Plus I take Advanced Potions, remember?"

"Oh," he said dejectedly. "Would have been nice to have another loser in class with me," he laughed. Theo punched his arm and turned off down the other hall. Draco wasnt looking forward to sharing classes with those high and mighty Gryffindors.

"Are you ready for class, Mr. Malfoy?" Professor Slughorn asked as he came up from behind him.

"Yes sir. I won't have Potions until tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to it." He tried to sound as earnest as he felt as they walked along.

"I am as well. I'll have all of my top students in the same class. It should be interesting, Potter, Malfoy, and Granger all together, all vying for the top spot!" Draco smiled at him but stopped when he heard someone laughing from behind them. Draco turned and saw Weasley gripping Harry by the shoulders and laughing, but Harry's face was red and he looked uneasy, probably angry that theyd be sharing a class. Draco sneered at the two of them and abruptly walked away. He knew, of course, they were right to feel the way they did after he had treated them so badly for so long. Weasley would probably just use this as his chance to get back at him for all the nasty tricks he had played. And of course, he deserved it.

He walked into Professor Binns room and grabbed a seat near the back. Neville Longbottom walked in behind him and a group of girls waited and watched him from outside the door, giggling. Apparently slaying the Dark Lord's snake made one very popular with the ladies. He sniggered to himself and looked down at his desk.

"Something funny, Malfoy?" Neville addressed him and Draco plastered a smug look on his face and benevolently shook his head.

"He's just jealous because everyone loves you and they all hate him," Ron Weasley said behind him. Harry had walked in with them and they were all staring at him. Draco opened his mouth to say something but he was interrupted.

"Is something wrong?" Hermione Granger came up as well. She was looking at Draco but her question was meant for Neville.

"No, and there wont be either, will there, Malfoy?" he spat nastily. He turned his back on him and the others and sat down. Ron flashed him the same rude gesture that his sister had given Harry and Draco grabbed out a notebook and a quill and slammed them on his table. Everyone was seated and Professor Binns began his lecture. Draco was looking forward but from the corner of his eye he could see Harry watching him, but he didnt pay him any mind.