CH 45 - He Felt A Nasty Jerk In His Stomach

The last two weeks had been grueling, but they had survived. Exams were over and a sigh of relief had settled over the castle. After the last test, Harry had tossed his books in his trunk and hadn't looked at them since. Professor McGonagall had agreed to let the older students have a day in Hogsmeade to relax. Harry and Ron had been helping her put her class back in order while Hermione, Draco, and Blaise had been taking their Arithmancy exam. They made their way to the Hogs Head and found the three of them already seated at a table in the back.

"How did the exam go?" Ron asked Hermione as he sat down next to her.

"It was tough, but I feel like I did well," she answered.

"Professor Vector sure put us through hell, though. Tested us on every ounce of information we've learned this year. I think we were all pretty prepared though," Draco added and Blaise nodded along with him. Neville and Theo were just walking in the door as Aberforth brought over extra drinks.

"Hope your exams went well. I'll wager you're ready to get out of here?" They all nodded and laughed.

"What's so funny?" Neville asked, clapping Aberforth on the back.

"Oh, I'll just be ready to get rid of you is all," he smiled at them and Harry saw the same twinkle in his eye that he had seen in Dumbledore's.

"Sure, sure," Neville said as he came up to the table.

"How was Herbology?"

"Dirty," he said as he sat down next to Blaise, who smiled at him. Neville nodded his head at him and smiled. "Hey Blaise."

"Hey, Neville," he replied with a soft smile, and he looked down into his cup. Neville grinned as well and took a drink of butterbeer before speaking up again.

"I'll be coming back up during the summer to help Professor Sprout with some new seedlings she's got coming in from far off. We're hoping to get them sprouted and grown up some for next years students."

"That's great Neville, but for now, no more talk of school!" Ron exclaimed, and he raised his butterbeer bottle and everyone clinked their drinks together.

They sat that way for almost two hours before Ron and Hermione had to go usher students back to the school. Theo went off to go visit some shops and Blaise and Neville left shortly after.

"This was a good way to end the day," Harry remarked, and Draco smiled at him.

"It was. Being all together was fun. We make a pretty interesting group, I must admit," he mused, rubbing his chin and Harry laughed.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Almost. I'm going to go to the lavatory and then we can head back." He got up and walked off and Harry turned in his seat to look out the window. The sun was setting behind thick clouds and it cast a nice glow over the street and he knew they were going to have to hurry back to the castle to get back before dark.

THUNK.

"Your friend needs to be more careful with his possessions."

Harry jumped in his seat, startled by the low voice growling behind him. He drew his wand and spun around just in time to see the front door closing. There was no one else in the tavern, including Aberforth. He looked down at the table and saw a small parcel, something wrapped in a handkerchief. He prodded at it carefully with his wand and the handkerchief fell away to reveal his pocket watch! The person with the low voice must have dropped it on the table.

He reached to pick it up and as soon as his fingers closed around it, he felt a nasty jerk in his stomach and he was transported out of the Hogs Head. He fell flat on his face and felt his nose crunch painfully against a hard, wooden floor.

He looked up and saw that he was surrounded by a ring of people in masks and cloaks.

Inside Malfoy Manor.

***

Draco had just finished using the toilet when he heard the door open and close. He didn't want to be stuck in the bathroom with someone so he got out quickly and washed his hands. Just as he was shutting the water off, a shadow fell across the sink and a gravelly voice spoke up.

"Petrificus Totalis!"

Draco's body instantly went rigid and he felt himself falling forward. His chin struck the basin of the sink, blinding him with pain. He landed on the floor on his stomach and the air whooshed out of him. He was vaguely aware of the sound of the door lock sliding home behind the attacker. He could smell the sharp blood as it flowed from his chin and he could feel it pooling around his cheek and nose.

He couldn't move. And he couldn't get to Harry.