CH 1 - Part of Him Wanted a New Start Away From His Past

It had been a long and quiet summer and Harry Potter had thoroughly enjoyed the silence. After the Battle of Hogwarts, he, Ron, and Hermione had gone to the Burrow for some much-needed rest. They spent much of their time out in the garden in the sunshine enjoying the calm that had settled upon them all. Harry no longer felt the impending doom that had lurked over his shoulder for so many of his years. Their days were spent in each others busy company, laughing and enjoying their quiet solitude. But it did still come at a price. At night when things calmed down it was much harder to keep their grief at bay. There was a very dark void in the Weasley family with Fred gone and most nights Harry tossed in bed with thoughts of not only Fred, but of Remus and Tonks, and Sirius still floated through his mind daily as well.

One afternoon, Professor McGonagall turned up on the doorstep and invited the three of them to come back and take their Seventh Year. Hermione had accepted at once, but Harry and Ron had been more hesitant. Recently-appointed Minister of Magic Kinglsey Shacklebolt had given them both spots on the Auror team straightaway. Harry felt like he was ready for it and had agreed to take a tour of the Auror Department but when Professor McGonagall told Ron that he had been appointed Head Boy, he had decided to return to school with Hermione. Harry knew it was going to be a tough decision. Part of him wanted a new start away from his past and the memories that were held within the school, but the other part longed for the castle he had always called home.

Harry had made an appointment with Kinglsey early one August morning for his tour of the Auror Department and he was hoping this would help him make his decision. He was a little apprehensive about returning to the Ministry so soon after the war, but Kingsley had promised it would be a quiet visit. As soon as the Ministry had been re-established, they had begun trials on the Death Eaters that had been caught and there were only high ranking officials working in the Ministry for the time being. He hadn't read the Quibbler or the Prophet in a while so he had no idea who was even being tried this week.

He stepped into the Ministry and looked around. There were wanted Death Eater posters hung on the walls, replacing the posters of him that had hung there before. He walked towards the elevators and was glad to see that there were wizards restoring the original fountain back to its rightful place. If it was done when he came back down, he'd toss a coin in.

"Harry, I'm glad you could make it today," Kingsley said behind him. He turned around and saw him standing by the lift. Harry smiled at the man and shook his outstretched hand.

"Thank you for allowing me to come today. I am excited. I've been ready for this day for a long time. I feel this will give me some good insight into the more technical, day-to-day aspects of being an Auror."

"I believe it shall. Follow me and we'll get started." Harry followed him into an elevator and they went high up into the building. Once in the department, Harry saw many familiar faces that he had met throughout the last few years. They all spoke with him about their various jobs and duties and let him know how excited they were to have him on their team. They explained various objects sitting around the rooms, Dark Magic Detectors, much like the ones Mad-Eye Moody had had. He saw mountains of paperwork and charts and even potions brewing on tables. He knew they had all trained very hard for their spots and even though he had been assured one, he wasnt sure he was quite ready just yet. He bid them all goodbye and followed Kingsley to his office.

"What do you think, Harry? Would you like to join our team soon?" he asked from across the table in his deep, calming voice.

"I would like to sir, and I am grateful for the offer. I will be an Auror, I promise that, but Professor McGonagall has also offered me the chance to come back to school to finish my final year."

"Yes, Minerva did mention that. I think we would both like to have you as soon as possible, but if you would like to return to school, you will still have a spot here next year. As will Mr. Weasley," he added.

"Thank you. If you dont mind, I'd like a few days to think on it. I can send you an owl when I've made my decision."

"I'll look forward to it," Kinglsey said kindly. He led the way out of his office and walked Harry to the elevators. "If you ever need anything, remember we've all got your back here." Harry smiled at him and Kingsley clapped him on the shoulder. Harry took a few deep breaths as his elevator made its way down to the lobby. He stepped out and watched as the fountain filled with water. He pulled a galleon from his pocket and tossed it in. He turned to head out but stopped in his tracks when he saw Draco Malfoy and his mother being led to the bank of fireplaces by a ministry official. He led them to the closest fireplace and began tapping it with his wand, all of them oblivious to Harry watching.

Narcissa Malfoy was standing tall next to her son whose shoulders were as squared as hers, but Harry watched as hers visibly drooped and then dry sobs wracked her body. Tears were streaming down her face and Harry realized they must have come from a trial, probably Lucius'. He had read sometime in the summer that Draco had come out of his with an innocent verdict, as well as his mother. He watched discreetly as her tears fell and try as he might, he couldnt turn away. Draco, who had been stony faced, suddenly let his guard down and his face echoed the grief of his mothers. He took a handkerchief from his breast pocket and gently dabbed her face, reaching around to support her with his other arm, and Harry thought he looked years older than he knew he was. She took his hand in hers and smiled a small, thin smile. She looked up at that moment and caught Harry watching. He saw her gasp and Draco turned quickly to see him staring at them. Harry felt the color rising in his neck and he tried to turn around but his body wouldnt move. Draco narrowed his eyes at him and gently pushed his mother forward into the fireplace. He gave Harry one last glance before stepping after her. As soon as he had seen them, the brilliant green flames whisked them away.

***

Draco Malfoy turned the letter over and over in his hands. It had been a long and taxing day and he hadn't expected this. Professor McGonagall had sent an owl asking to come and visit, inviting him to come back to Hogwarts to complete his Seventh Year. She would be coming to dinner soon with more details and he figured she would want an answer then. He had no idea what he was supposed to tell her.  After the war had ended, he and his family had been placed under house arrest until the Aurors could figure out what to do with them, and since then his days had been so busy he had never even thought about the possibility of going back to school.

He had been extremely relieved when he had been given an innocent verdict. Having been underage, he had been seen as having been under the influence of his fathers order and had been guilted and coerced into his actions. He felt guilty about that but he was too relieved to have argued. He had never hidden his feelings about how he felt about Muggles and Muggleborns, but deep down he knew he was wrong. And he had never felt in-tune with Voldemort. He may not have liked them but he certainly never wanted them dead.

His mother had only wanted to keep him safe which is what made her trial so hard. She still knew what she was doing and she had helped teach him his prejudice against anyone who wasnt a pure-blood. She had always done everything in her power to keep him alive. But his father, well his father had wanted much more. He wanted the power and the control and he would have done anything to get it, he had done anything to get it. And that had helped determine his mothers trial. When she had testified that all she wanted was her sons life, Lucius had said anything would have been worth the power. Draco could still feel the sting of the words. He hated his father. And everyone in the wizarding world hated them, and he agreed with them.

And of course, Harry Bloody Potter had been at the Ministry after his fathers trial and had seen them at their lowest. When he saw him just gawking at them he could feel the anger rising in his throat and he would have yelled at him if it hadnt been for the fact that he knew Harry was justified to see them that way. He had always ridiculed him and tormented him and it probably gave him some small satisfaction to see them so broken down. Earlier in the summer he had overheard two Aurors speaking and learned that Harry and Ron Weasley had been offered spots in their department at the ministry. And seeing him there led him to believe that he wouldnt be returning to school. But if he had, he would have a heros return; Draco certainly would not. He turned the letter over in his hand again. Deep in his apprehensive heart he wanted to return, but he could only imagine how he would be received by the others.