CH 11 - He Gasped for Air as His Body Collapsed to the Floor

Monday had come and gone and his Potions class was looming over him like a black cloud. He had barely gotten through the homework assignment without tremendous help from Hermione. And the news of Lucius Malfoy's Dementor Kiss was all people could talk about so he hadn't hardly seen Draco at all. In class he had kept his head down unless addressed by a teacher. He did, however, smile at Harry before going off to bed. Harry had dreamt of him again and had woken up saying his name. And if he could say it to himself he figured it was about time to start calling him Draco instead of Malfoy. He thought again of his Potions class and his insides squirmed at the thought of Draco seeing him do so badly.

"I'm just going to have to have a talk with Slughorn. He's expecting great things from me and I can't deliver. I have no idea how I'm ever going to pass this class," he told Ron and Hermione.

"Harry, mate, he thinks you hung the moon, you'll be just fine. Besides, you don't really need it. Kingsley would let you have the spot even if you didn't take the class at all this year," Ron said with an elbow in Harry's side and Hermione knocked him on the shoulder.

"I can help you a little, Harry. Because I think you really do need the class," she said with a pointed look at Ron. "You both do. You never know what potions you'll need to make or what you may come across when you are out working as an Auror."

"I know," Harry said and he rubbed his forehead. He put his books in his bag after he finished eating and he chanced a look at the Slytherin table, a habit that had only gotten worse in the past few days. He still hadn't told Ron and Hermione about the conversations he kept having with Draco. He wasn't at breakfast today and Harry wondered if it had anything to do with the news about his father. Even though the article was a few days old, it was still all people could talk about. A few students here had loved ones who had just recently died from their injuries they got in the war and he was wondering how they were handling the news. He had no idea who had wounded them, but he knew they were all probably blaming Draco and he worried someone would take it out on him. He felt their pain. He felt deeply for the ones who had lost parents and siblings. He thought about how no one would ever hear Colin Creevey laughing with his brother again.

Harry followed Ron and Hermione into their Potions class and saw that Draco was already there speaking with Professor Slughorn. He noticed the seat next to Draco's was still empty too. He wondered what everyone would do if he sat down, but his thoughts were interrupted by Slughorn calling him up to his desk. Draco backed off and went to his seat.

"Harry m'boy, I'd like to have a word. I noticed towards the end of your last year that your potion making skills started slipping and last weeks class was, let's say, lacking in performance. Are you finding it hard to keep up? I can't see what could be hindering you."

"Well, Professor, honestly I had a lot of help last time, help that I don't have this year. And now that I don't have that help, I'm having a hard time getting the potions to work," he said, trying hard not to mumble. He was mortified having to explain this to his teacher, especially while Draco could hear; it only made it worse.

"Well, I bet we can find you some more help, eh? Maybe Miss Granger can find some extra time between her classes and Head Girl duties to work with you. And if not, I can maybe find some time in between classes to tutor you." Harry shook his head, the heat crawling up his neck.

"No, Professor, I appreciate the offer but I'll just buckle down and work harder," he said but it didn't seem to convince Slughorn.

"Professor, I could help. I dont have any other major responsibilities that would hinder me from helping a couple hours a week," Draco said in a smooth tone coming up beside him. Harry stared at him wide-eyed and when Draco looked at him, he lifted his eyebrow ever so slightly so that only the two of them could have noticed.