CH 5 - He Felt Hopeful for the First Time in a Long While

Harry had enjoyed his first day back in classes. History of Magic hadn't been too bad and Charms was fun, plus they hadn't been given any homework which had been a pleasant surprise. He was coming down the stairs chatting with Neville when Ron came up and walked with them.

"Harry, do you think we did the right thing signing up for Magical Creatures again?" Harry looked at him questioningly.

"Yeah, why?"

"I just saw Hagrid bringing in a large crate and he had a bunch of dead fish tied around his neck." Harry nodded, he had seen that as well and didn't want to think too much about what was in that crate.

"I feel like we kind of owe Hagrid this."

"I guess so," Ron replied, but he had a look on his face that gave Harry the impression he was thinking about Blast Ended Skrewts and three headed dogs. Harry chuckled and pulled his class list from his bag, he had Double Potions first thing. He racked his brain but couldnt remember if Professor Slughorn had ever found out how he had gotten so good at Potions and if it had to do with Snape's book or not. He also knew he was going to need plenty of help from Hermione to get through this class.

"Good morning boys," Hermione said coming up behind them, Ginny in tow. Harry's stomach turned but he put a smile on his face anyways. Ron reached for Hermione's hand and kissed her on the top of her head.

"Ready for breakfast?" Ron asked and they nodded at him.

"Harry?" He turned and saw Ginny watching him expectantly. "Want to walk to breakfast with me?" Ron turned and shot him a pained look, obviously glad he wasnt in Harry's shoes.

"Sure," he said cautiously. He slowed his pace a little so they could fall behind the others. They walked quietly for a bit, winding down the stairs towards the Great Hall. He wasnt sure if he should say anything so he just sighed.

"Harry, do you love me?" Ginny asked him quickly. Harry tripped over his feet and tried to catch his breath.

"What?"

"Listen, I've been angry with you, but I miss you. I dont know how much longer I want to be apart." Harry stopped in his tracks and stared at her wide-eyed, very aware of the other people watching from the bottom of the steps all the way down to the Great Hall.

"Ginny," he whispered, "you know I love you, but I cant love you the way you need to be loved. It wouldnt be fair to either of us, I'm sorry."

"How can you say you love me then?" she yelled and shoved him hard. He stumbled back a few steps and he watched her storm off, knocking a few people over on her way. Everyone turned to stare at him and Harry saw Draco watching from the bottom of the stairs. He quickly looked away from Harry and began helping a First Year Ravenclaw girl pick up her papers and books. She was looking at him with starry eyes and blushing profusely. She stammered a thank you at him before walking off and Draco smiled back after her. He looked back to Harry, still smiling, and he inclined his head. For a strange minute he thought he was going to say something to him, but he dropped the smile and chewed his lip before going into the Great Hall. Harry took a deep breath and followed him into the hall and went to sit with Ron and Hermione, who had also seen the exchange between he and Ginny. Harry looked over at the Slytherin table but today Draco had his back to the rest of the room.

***

Draco felt hungrier this morning than he had in a while and he ate quite a bit of food. He was still smiling after the exchange with the Ravenclaw girl in the hall. She obviously didnt know who he was, he figured she was a Muggle-born, and when she smiled at him and didnt run off scared he had felt hopeful for the first time in a long while. It had been a long time since someone had looked at him like that. He didnt look around now but he was hoping that other people in the hall could see he was different, that he was changing.