CH 24 - "What if I Can Never Be Normal Again?"

The morning of the Hogsmeade trip dawned cool and crisp and Harry made his way down to the Great Hall early. He had put food on two plates and was talking with Ron and Hermione when Draco finally walked in. His eyes looked dark and Harry wondered if he hadn't slept well.

"Good morning," Draco nodded at the three of them, looking down at the two plates in front of Harry. "Feeling extra hungry this morning?"

"Not particularly, no. This one is for you," he said as he slid the plate to Draco. He had only put a few things on there, and even then it was only fruit and toast. He watched as Draco furrowed his eyebrows but he took the apple and started cutting it into pieces. He placed one in his mouth and looked at Harry pointedly.

"Happy?" he asked grumpily as soon as he had swallowed it. Harry nodded gently, knowing Draco was nervous about today and it was probably what was causing his edginess. He would have grabbed his hand but Draco had the other one under the table. He kept pushing the apple pieces around the plate and finally forked another piece and ate it, scowling the whole time. Harry decided to let him brood quietly and he and Hermione discussed homework and Hogsmeade.

"Luna told me to tell you that we are all going to meet at the Hogs Head around eleven. Will that work for you guys?"

"Yeah, that'll be great. What do you and Ron have planned for the day?"

"Well, we have to get everyone there, and once we are finally done doing that, I'm going straight to Honeydukes!" Ron answered. Hermione laughed and leaned her head on his shoulder. They watched as Professor McGonagall made her way out, followed closely by Argus Filch and his list of names.

"Guess we should go," Ron said, standing. He grabbed Hermione by the hand and they walked around the table. "See you down there."

"See you," Harry replied and he glanced back at Draco's plate. He noticed that more of the food was gone, and even though Draco was still scowling, it wasn't as hard. Harry tilted his head and smiled at him and Draco only raised an eyebrow. Draco moved to put on his jacket as the other students filed out of the hall. Harry moved around to his side of the table and sat next to him, putting his arm around his back to help alleviate his nerves. Eventually it was their turn to go and they quietly walked out, Mr. Filch checking their names off the list.

Harry wasn't sure what to say. Maybe he had overstepped with breakfast, but Draco hadn't been eating right and he needed to see him eating something. His face was hard as he looked forward and Harry could tell through his jacket that his fists were balled. His elbows were sticking out though and Harry stepped closer and linked his arm through Draco's. Neither of them spoke as they walked along the road. Other students were looking at them, but no one said anything or bothered them. Harry looked up and saw that Draco's face had softened and Harry smiled, happy knowing that he could fix Draco's mood.

"Are you going to talk to me or are you going to just stare at me all day?" Draco asked him.

"Honestly I could do either and be just as happy," he laughed and Draco finally smiled.

"I'm sorry I'm in such a mood. I didn't sleep well. I had nightmares all night over what Blaise's mother said, and all the worrying about today didnt help."

"You could have sent me a note or something. I would have come to sit with you or something."

"You would?" Draco asked, and Harry noted the surprise in his voice, and also the relief.

"I would. You should know that. I care for you, Draco, a lot. And it's getting worse each day," he joked dramatically, but his voice cracked. Draco must have noticed because he squeezed his elbow tighter around Harry's.