CH 19 - "I Haven't Been Just This Happy In So Long"

Harry was working in the library late Saturday evening when Ron came up to him.

"Working hard or hardly working?" he laughed.

"I'm actually working hard tonight," he replied as he shuffled through his homework and checked his watch.

"Are you wondering what time Malfoy is going to be back?" Harry blushed and nodded.

"I am. I haven't heard anything about yesterday. I'm still surprised they didn't put anything about it in the papers."

"McGonagall said Kingsley warned them not to. It'll be in tomorrows paper. Apparently it was real ugly. They got back just a short while ago and McGonagall is worried about him being alone up in his room and she sent me to come find you. She wants to talk to you first though."

"Me? Why would she think to send for me?"

"No idea, mate. Hermione and I haven't said a thing and I doubt he did either. But I think the mess with Ginny may have tipped her off."

"Alright." Harry scooped up his bag and shoved his books into it and followed Ron up to her office.

"You go on up, I'll take your bag up to our room. Good luck," he added and Harry nodded. Once upstairs, he attempted to flatten his hair and he walked into her office.

"Ah, Harry, I'm glad Ron found you quickly."

"Is everything okay, Professor?"

"No, I don't think so. I know you are aware the Dementor's Kiss has been administered to Lucius Malfoy."

"Yes ma'am."

"Well, as you can imagine, it was hard for the entire family. Now, I called you up here because I would like you to go check on Draco." Harry opened his mouth to speak but she held up her hand. "I know the two of you have bonded somewhat this year, in more ways than one. He needs support and someone he can trust. Can I trust you with this?"

"Yes, of course," he stammered, embarrassed that she might know about them.

"Be careful, Harry. He's in a very dark place right now and he needs patience and kindness. The portrait down the hall with the field and the constellations is his and the password is 'Apastron.' Now, if you need help, do not hesitate to come find me." Harry nodded and exited quickly. He walked down the hall to the portrait she had described.

"Apastron," he said clearly and the paint on the canvas began to swirl. He put his hand inside and was pulled forward. He stepped into a living space that had been torn apart. A small table had been upturned and a vase had been smashed in the middle of the floor. He walked a few steps before his shoe crunched on a picture on the floor. He picked it up and saw the Malfoy family gazing back at him. There were no smiles on any of their faces and aside from the blinking, he would have thought it was a muggle photo.

"Draco?" he called out. No answer. Still holding the photo, he stepped around the couch and faced two doors. "Draco?" he called again, but still no answer. Maybe he had gone down to the dungeons to find Blaise or Theo. After a few moments though, he heard muffled sounds coming from the door to the left. He knocked quietly and put his ear to the door. Sure enough, he could hear water running and hard breaths. He knocked again.

"Go away, Potter!" Draco sounded angry and Harry was confused as to why he called him by his last name.

"Draco, let me in or I'm coming in on my own!" He slowly turned the knob and found it was locked. "I've got a wand you know, a lock wont keep me out." He rattled the knob again and when Draco didn't open it, he pulled out his wand. "Alohomora." He tried the doorknob again, but it was still locked; apparently he was locked in tight.