CH 31 - "Well, Would You Like Me To Stay?"

It was Christmas Eve and Harry had said his goodbyes to the Weasleys before finally returning to Grimmauld Place. He had had a very pleasant visit; Ginny had been off visiting Luna for the day which had helped keep things light. He had promised to bring Teddy over in the next week or so and laden with sweets, candies, and a new sweater, Harry stepped out of his fireplace and into his kitchen. There he found Kreacher eating a small dinner with Winky. They had both been invited to dinner but they had declined.

He put the sweets on the counter and made his way to the first floor living room. Draco had helped him cover the Black Family Tapestry with a large tablecloth. It didn't look as bad as he had thought and he planned to paint over it at some point. Draco had looked at it with the same disdain that Sirius had.

There was already a fire in the fireplace and it made the room seem nice and cozy but the bare Christmas tree in the corner made him feel very lonely. He could understand why Sirius had hated it so much when he had been cooped up here for so long. He went to the window and opened the curtain to see snow falling on the street below. That made him smile, they would have a white Christmas tomorrow.

As he watched the snow falling, a gold glass ball, a tree ornament, floated over his shoulder and into his hand. Painted on the sides were silvery wings, a golden snitch...

"150 points to Gryffindor," Draco said behind him. Harry turned and saw him grinning in the doorway laden down with ornament boxes and tinsel.

"Hey," Harry said happily, crossing the room to grab some boxes. "I wasn't expecting to see you tonight."

"I know. Mother was actually shocked to see me this morning. She had figured when I didn't come home early last night that I had stayed over here with you. And so I told her not to wait up for me tonight," he said with a wink. "If that's ok with you?"

"Yeah," Harry spluttered. He'd be lying if he said the thought hadn't crossed his mind. He grabbed an ornament and strung some wire through it and hung it on the tree, smiling to himself. He turned slightly, looking at Draco from the side. "So, your mom thought you had stayed over?"

"She did," Draco nodded. He was struggling with a wire and Harry smiled. "We are adults now, as she pointed out to me. Sure, we're still at school but we aren't underage wizards anymore."

"You're right," Harry said softly. Draco was looking at him very carefully and Harry felt it was time for a serious talk. He took his glasses off and cleaned them, and he took a deep breath as he turned to Draco.

"What are you thinking?" Draco asked. Harry took the ornaments from him and laid them carefully on the floor. He grabbed both of his hands and just stood there, watching as the firelight flickered on his face.

"I never thought I would ever say this to you in a million years, but here goes nothing." He paused and took a deep breath and let it out all at once. "I love you, Draco. And I know it's only been a very short amount of time, but it's true. I look at you and I'm happy. I'm with you and I'm happy. When you aren't around I get anxious and all I can think about is you. When I look in your eyes, I see the world and I can't imagine it with you not in it. You are my best friend and I can tell you anything and I feel safe with you. I love the way I feel when I'm with you. When I'm holding your hand, or when your arms are around me, it's the best feeling I can ever imagine feeling. I hope it doesn't scare you but I wanted you to know that's how I feel." He took another deep breath and waited while he watched Draco's face changing with emotions. His eyes were bright and shining and he was smiling like Harry had never seen before.

"Harry," he whispered, leaning down and kissing him gently. "My Harry. When I saw your aunt and uncle and told them that I was in love, it was true, only I hadn't said it aloud until then. But when I did, it felt so right and I wondered why I hadn't said it before, and why I hadn't told you. You know me better than anyone, so you know I don't share things easily but I will tell you this. I love you too, in a way I never knew was possible. And these last few months have been the best of my life, and I hope to spend a lot more with you." Harry grinned up at him and pulled Draco in for a deep kiss.