CH 28 - "I Promise"

So Death Eaters were after him again. He had to admit he wasn't all that surprised. And he wasn't too worried about it either, not about himself anyway. Draco had once again become more withdrawn and sullen and had stopped eating. He probably wasn't sleeping either.

Professor McGonagall had told them to act as though nothing had happened, but she also instructed them to be more careful about their relationship. She wanted them to spend less time together in front of the other students and it had been making the both of them irritable. Draco had gone back to eating at the Slytherin table with Blaise and Theo and Harry hated not being able to talk to him during their free time. McGonagall was worried that someone in the school was relaying information to a Death Eater and he had to admit she was probably right.

"Harry, you've got to eat something," Hermione said, resting her hand on his arm. He looked down at his plate and glowered. Nothing looked good. He resisted the urge to turn around and look at Draco and his untouched plate.

"I'm not very hungry this morning."

"You werent hungry yesterday either, mate," Ron said and he lowered his voice. "You aren't worried about the Death Eaters, are you?"

"Of course not! It's... it's nothing." He looked at Hermione who turned her head and casually scanned the hall. She looked back at him and shook her head.

"He's not eating either," she whispered. Ron looked over at the Slytherin table too.

"McGonagall said the auror she had stationed here hasn't seen anything out of the ordinary. Hogsmeade is clean as well. I dont think she thinks anyone will do anything," he told Harry, but he chewed on the corner of his lip.

"I don't think so either. They are greatly outnumbered though, and probably pretty angry, which makes them dangerous. I don't want them to hurt him though because they couldn't get to me." He lowered his eyes again, thinking about Draco.

"He'll be fine, Harry," Hermione said, reading his thoughts. "Professor McGonagall won't let anything happen to either of you." Harry nodded but he didn't feel all that sure.

Later that afternoon, Harry went to the library to get a book on protective charms when he saw Draco sitting alone in the back corner. He was reading a book and writing, presumably on his homework. Harry looked around and saw that the library was mostly empty. He cleared his throat and placed his hand on his shoulder and Draco spun around, his wand raised and his chair knocked to the side.

"Dammit, Harry! You scared me." Draco clutched his chest and took a few breaths before picking up his chair. "What are you doing here?" he asked crossly.

"I'm getting a book," he replied carefully. He could tell Draco was on edge and he didn't want to push him.

"You shouldn't be wandering around the castle alone," Draco said sharply.

"I'm not just wandering around, Draco, I'm getting a book. And what about you, sitting alone and with your back to the door! You didn't even notice me watching you," he said loudly. Draco scowled and picked up his quill and ink bottle, shoving them into his bag, followed by his papers and book.

"This isn't a joke, Harry! They will kill you!" Draco yelled.

"No, they wont! They have always had plenty of chances to before and they never seemed to get around to it. And don't yell at me, Draco. We are on the same side, remember?" Harry tried to keep his voice even, but his temper was rising as well.

"So, you aren't taking this seriously! Cocky Harry, always so sure of everything. Of course, they can't touch you, Perfect Potter, untouchable and invincible," Draco spat angrily, his face turning red.