CH 23 - He Headed to His Room, Smiling Like a Fool the Whole Way

Harry was sitting at breakfast early Friday morning sipping on orange juice when Ron walked over and sat down.

"McGonagall went down to Hogsmeade last night and talked to all the shop owners, pretty much briefing them about the school visit. She didn't quite come out and say Malfoy would be down there and he wasn't to be bothered, but she made it pretty clear she was going to have people watching everyone."

"Watching everyone? As in someone tailing him or the shopkeepers?" Harry asked, narrowing his eyes.

"Kind of both. She got an auror to follow you both all day." Harry groaned and put his head in his hands.

"Maybe we shouldn't go. Draco's been uneasy about going anyway."

"Come on, mate, you've got to go! You need to spend some time in the sun anyway, you've been looking a little pale," Ron nudged him and waggled his eyebrows.

"Very funny," Harry laughed but he knew Ron was right.

"What's wrong with pale?" Draco asked as he came up behind them. Harry turned to greet him with a smile.

"Absolutely nothing. I just need some sunshine or people will think I've turned into a vampire or something," he joked, and Draco smirked at him and sat down. Harry watched as he straightened his tie and pulled out some homework. Harry gave Ron a look and he got up to go find Hermione, giving Harry a chance to talk with Draco about the weekend.

"Is something wrong?" Draco asked him, obviously noticing him fidgeting with his fork.

"Not really. Ron just told me that McGonagall is going to be watching us very carefully tomorrow is all. Just to make sure nothing happens." Harry cringed as Draco rolled his eyes.

"I guess I should have seen that coming. I'm honestly surprised she's letting me go at all," he mused as he chewed on his lip.

"It'll be fine, Draco." Harry let him read in peace and he studied the other students for a minute. Luna had eaten dinner with them last night and told them she was glad they had finally worked out their differences. When Draco had questioned why, she told them it was because their souls matched and now that they were together all would be right with the world. Draco had graciously told her he thought she was brilliant, and Harry had agreed. He looked over at the Slytherin table and saw Blaise and Theo staring at them.

"So, what do they think of us?" Harry asked and Draco turned around to look at them as well. They winked and blew kiss faces at him and Draco flipped them his middle finger and turned back, red-faced and grinning.

"They certainly don't hide their enthusiasm, huh? Blaise said he actually figured it out a long time ago," Draco laughed, looking down at his plate and then back up at Harry through his eyelashes, his cheeks flushed. "Theo is alright too, he actually always thought you were a pretty good guy. And since we were all kind of trouble, we look past the things that might make us uncomfortable because we need to stick together." He shook his head and smiled.

"That's good. Are you going to eat anything?"

"I'm not hungry this morning."

"Okay, well I'm not going to push it now, but you need to be eating more." He grabbed Draco's hand and gave it a squeeze, not caring that anyone was watching. Draco smiled but he straightened his tie again when Harry took his hand back. He took a bite of eggs and noticed Neville walking over. Harry bristled, worried about Draco and Neville being so close. He always sat a few seats down and ignored him for the most part but Harry choked on his pumpkin juice when Neville sat down right next to Draco. He took a couple sputtering breaths and saw the two of them watching him with amused looks.