chapter twenty-nine

Start from the beginning

"i'm just glad we managed to get through everything. i honestly have no idea what i would do without you," she says gently, moving her hand to grasp mine that's resting just over her shoulder.

"i love you," i say truthfully, looking straight down at her, as she grins up at me.

"i love you more," she mumbles, sending me a dazzling smile.

"after new york, lets take a trip together," i decide. "we don't have to be anywhere till the end of october, as long as we show up in australia for the given dates, we can go anywhere in the world after this trip."

"can we go to fiji? or bali?" she asks, her eyes widening in glee. "ooh! what about the maldives? or the south of france? oh or greece?" she pesters, getting more and more excited about what i suggested. i chuckle softly, pressing my lips against her forehead gently.

"how about we go to france, and then fiji?" i suggest. "and then after australia, we could head straight to bali, and on our way back to canada, take a trip to the maldives, and then hit up greece? before heading back to canada," i list, watching anya get more and more excited.

"wait, but can we go back to la instead? you need to meet my whole family," she says excitedly, as the elevator dings open, and we head straight to the breakfast area in the hotel. "like my whole family."

"oh gosh," i chuckle. "but yeah, we can go to la," i say to her, as she grins, twirling herself out of my arms, and holding onto my hand with her fingers. "we can book flights and stuff after breakfast, yeah? its a free day today."

"can we go to sugar factory for dinner tonight?" she asks, letting go of my hand and walking up to the fruit bar, taking a plate and helping herself to the selection of exotic fruits.

"sure hun, we should make a reservation though, after all, it is a friday night," i grin softly at her, helping myself to the wide array of food they have on offer. i decide to have a couple pastries, a side plate of fruit, and an americano.

"shawn, anya," anya and i freeze in our tracks, before turning around, seeing andrew standing there, visibly happy, which confuses me. "come sit, lets talk about whats going on." anya and i look at each other, before shrugging and following andrew to table, placing out food down.

"gerty-" anya starts, but andrew is quick to cut her off.

"island called me last night, after those pictures went viral," andrew says quickly. "they're not mad, surprisingly, however they are slightly worried about the fact that your sales will drop. i managed to convince them they wouldn't, because you're back in the news, however they wouldn't drop the fact that anya isn't, well, not exactly, a celebrity. so-"

"but why does that matter? shes my girlfriend, and my girlfriend can follow any career she wants to," i shoot out, making andrew sigh.

"i know that, you know that, but since anya's followers are rising massively, they want her to become an influencer, and will get her started with some brands and sponsorships," he continues. "anya, you are okay with that, right?"

"well i don't really have a say, but i don't mind," she shrugs, taking a sip of her water. "i don't mind, but you know, i'd rather be with shawn without having to change my career path."

i automatically feel guilt run through me. i knew she was desperate to open her own publishing firm, and i knew that i was holding her back from her own dreams. its almost as if i was the one influencing her life more than she was influencing mine.

"don't do it," i blurt out, without thinking too much about what i'm saying. "i'm holding her back. don't do it."

"shawn," anya says softly, turning her head towards me. "you're not holding me back. don't say that."