chapter five

[third person]
-

"i didn't want to do this either, but we just have to deal with it, it's a public appearance," shawn mutters, holding onto anya's hand, and walking around the streets of paris with her, seeing fans snap pictures from around them. 

"whatever, where do you want to eat?" she asks, swaying their hands slightly to make it more obvious they're okay with each other.

"andrew got us a reservation," shawn says, trailing off slightly, as he comes to a stop, the eiffel tower in direct sight, basically right in front of them.

"well, where?" she asks, slightly clueless. shawn sighs softly, looking away from her, and up at the tower.

"up there," he says awkwardly, scratching the back of his head. "and then a private boat ride on the seine."

"you have got to be kidding me," she whines, groaning slightly. "is this why he made us dress like this?" she asks, pointing down to her silk dress, and shawns formal shirt tucked into a pair of smart black trousers. the white of his shirt complimenting anya's red dress.

"sorry," shawn mumbles, shrugging softly. "well, are you ready?"

anxiety fills anya immediately; how was she supposed to slip away after eating?

"hey? anya?" he asks, looking down at her. "are you okay?"

"no-no yeah i'm fine," she brushes off, linking her hand with shawns again. "come on, let's go make that reservation. i'm excited," shawn smiles gently at her, following the excited girl as she guides him to the eiffel tower.

they queue up for a few short minutes, before someone comes to greet them, taking them straight to the priority lift, where they are taken up to the dining experience.

"bonjour, reservation for mendes?" shawn asks the waitress, letting go of anya's hand briefly.

"oui, right this way, sir," shawn lets anya walk i front of him, where they are guided to a table with a view, making anya gasp softly, stopping in her tracks.

"beautiful, isn't it?" shawn asks her, leaning down close to her ear. she nods her head, her mouth slightly agape.

"this is incredible," she says to shawn, taking a seat opposite him. "how did andrew get this arranged for us in such little time?"

"well," shawn chuckles. "he has connections."

"right," she nods, as a waiter comes over to their table, pouring out two flutes of champagne.

"so, you and brian?" shawn asks, trying to get out the only thing that's on his mind. "are y'all like a thing?"

"shawn-"

"no, don't worry about it, i mean, we're fake. there's nothing wrong with us looking at other people," shawn tells her. "so, what's the deal with you guys?"

"it was only one kiss," she says casually, brushing it off. "it didn't really mean anything to me."

"oh," shawn says, taking a sip of his champagne. "i mean if you and brian want to like, i don't know, get on, then you're welcome to. i'm not stopping you."

"no, i'm fine," anya says quickly, holding her champagne glass in her hand. "i guess we should put something online about tonight."

"right, yeah, i'll take a boomerang," shawn mutters, taking out his phone and opening up instagram, moving his glass to anya's, and clinking them, getting anya in the view. he captions it with a heart, and adds it to his instagram story.

they have a meal of grilled chicken and asparagus, with god knows what to make it expensive. throughout the entire meal, anya was trying to hide her anxiety from shawn, which seemed to be working.

"hey um, i'm just gonna go to the bathroom," she tells shawn, standing up from the table. "and then we can go?"

"yeah," he nods, agreeing. anya sends him a small smile, before walking away, and asking someone for where the bathroom is. anya quickly enters the bathroom, locking herself into a stall and crouching down.

again, her usual routine repeats. she felt dirty, she felt ashamed, but she knew deep down that she needed to lose the weight, and keep it off.

shawn stayed seated at the table, scrolling through his phone and occasionally sipping his water. he looks down at his watch, wondering when anya will come back so they can head to the boat ride. 

anya quickly leaves the bathroom, walking back to where shawn is. he furrows his eyebrow at her, and stands up immediately, placing his hand out.

"are you okay? you look really pale," he says, slightly concerned. "is that, vomit?" he says, pointing to the side of her mouth. anya flushes with embarrassment, and picks up a napkin, wiping the side of her mouth. "anya? what's going on?"

"n-nothing," she mumbles, looking away from him. "i-i know we have a boat ride, b-but can we go back to the hotel? i'm not feeling good." she lies, folding her arms against her chest.

"yeah, sure," shawn nods immediately, slipping off his blazer, and slipping it over her shoulders. "come on, you really don't look too good." shawn quickly calls the bill over, paying for it, and leaving a generous tip.

"thank you," she mumbles, as he nods again, linking their hands, and guiding her out of the restaurant, straight back into an elevator to get down to floor level.

"do you need any water or anything?" he asks, as soon as they step out of the lift.

"i-i'm fine," she mumbles, looking down at the floor. shawn nods, hailing a taxi immediately.

"i um, i'm really sorry about the way i've been treating you," shawn admits, as they sit down in the taxi. anya nods, looking down at her lap, and fondling with the rings on her fingers. "it's completely out of order, and truthfully, i don't even know why i do it. i just guess we need to get to know each other more, you know?"

"yeah," anya agrees.

"well, i hope we can start get to know each other over the next few weeks," shawn says softly, looking at the girl next to him, who feels extremely uncomfortable and sad.

anya stays silent for the entire journey, making shawn not speak either. he understood, she wasn't feeling well, so she probably didn't want to talk at all.

if only shawn knew the real reason why.
-

:)

:)