CH 20 - "It's the Same Way I'd Like Someone to Look at Me One Day"

Start from the beginning

He also mulled over the words his father had said. He wouldn't put it past him to be funneling information in and out. He had no idea if it would have been possible for him to get word in and out of Azkaban. His thoughts were interrupted by a pecking at his window. He flung it open and Orion flew in and landed swiftly on the couch. Draco untied the paper from his leg and picked up the note that fell out. He recognized Harry's bold, chaotic scrawl and he smiled. He unfolded the paper first in case it was bad, that way he would have Harry's letter to cheer him up.

The top story of course was his father. There were no reporters in the room when the Kiss was administered so the photo that accompanied the article was his prison photo. The article speculated on the Kiss and it made his stomach roil. They had even mentioned the fight between the two of them, but considering they had both sported bruised, swollen faces, it wouldn't have been much of a guess. But what shocked him most were the photos and the article directly beneath his father's. There were two photos, one each of he and Harry. It was salacious gossip, but they had hit the nail on the head. 'Hero Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy, Ex-Death Eater and Heir to the Infamous Malfoy Fortune, a Couple? Rumor has it the two young men are involved romantically. It's been reported they have been seen acting intimately on multiple occasions at Hogwarts. No word yet from either of the young men or their families, or if this is what caused the Malfoy men to fight.'

"Shit," he said, flinging the newspaper at the table. He looked at his watch. It was right before the start of Gryffindor try-outs. He picked up Harry's letter and opened it quickly, almost dropping it in his agitated state.

'Draco,

Saw the paper and the articles. I'll come find you as soon as try-outs are done.

Looks like you were right.

Harry'

Draco couldn't read the tone in his note and he hoped Harry wasn't angry. Draco hadn't been at first, but he was getting that way now. He sat back on the couch and grabbed his Arithmancy book. He may as well try to get some work done before Harry came up. The long, exhausting weekend and the stress from the articles was building behind his eyes and before he knew it they were closing and he was asleep.

"Draco." He heard his name as though through a fog, but he didnt want to open his eyes. He had been dreaming of the ocean with it's warm breezes and watery aromas. He sighed' and smiled.

"You better be dreaming of me," the same voice said, and he sat up, rubbing his eyes. Harry was leaning against the fireplace still wearing his quidditch robes and holding his broom, sweat glistening on his forehead.

"Hey. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep." He stretched his arms and placed his book on the table. Harry smiled and took a seat opposite him.

"I take it you read the paper?" Harry asked, gesturing toward the paper on the table. Draco nodded and Harry reached down to pick it up. "I knew they were going to write about your father but I never expected them to write about us. I certainly don't remember acting intimately at anytime, and even if we had, I don't know who would have cared enough to send it to the paper." Harry flung it back on the table and wiped his brow.

"Me either. How was it out there?" Draco rubbed his temple and winced, his eye still sore. Harry's good name was going to be ruined. A Hero and a Death Eater.

"Well, it was unusual having all those people gossiping about me, pointing at me, and whispering behind my back," Harry remarked. Draco looked up and cracked a smile at the sarcastic look on Harry's face.

"Very funny," Draco chuckled.

"We've been over this before. Does it really matter to you what other people think? It doesn't bother me. I know who you are, and that's all that matters. Of course, I don't know your favorite food or your favorite color, but we can learn those things about each other soon enough. I'm happy to be with you, Draco."