Here We Go

"I am paralyzed, so afraid to die ... Tension strikes, choking me, worries grow."

__________

My platform deconstructed, gingerly placing me upon the flat rooftop. Memories came back, as I surveyed the landscape stretched out in front of me. Being in Dublith, seeing all those Homunculi for the first time. These didn't look much different, aside from the darker hair color.

"Either she got some nice hair dye just for the hell of it, or something about the process of homunculi creation changed."

I shook away Ed's words, watching as the Alchemist on my mind finished walking forward, hands in his pockets. A burst of wind blew, whipping his coat to the side and blowing my hair as well. I lifted a hand, wishing I had something of a hairtie, and tucked it behind my ears, listening as Ed spoke.

"So tell me," he began, "what're ugly guys like you doing all the way up here, with something as valuable as that?"

I looked over, seeing the amulet again. Green, beautiful, everything I imagined it to be, if I ever imagined it at all.

The Homunculus holding it smiled, revealing the teeth of a shark.

"Wouldn't you like to know, little Alchemist?"

"You're him, right?" Another one taunted, leaning forward and exposing sharp vertebrae, his black suit stretching with them. "You're the Fullmetal pipsqueak!"

Ed tsked, and when his head turned, I saw the light glare on his face. "So you been talkin' to Envy."

They just smiled.

"Well"—The stone was tossed in the air and caught again. It hopped up, dropping down before being hiccuped again—"You gonna try and get this, or what?"

Hands clapped, a blade was created.

"Bring it!"

It all happened at once

An alarm went off in the back of my head. I ducked instantly, pivoting around as my attack landed, catching him on the side of his ribcage. Except the blow was only met with a sharp grin, a sharp laugh as well.

My heart and my confidence in everything dropped as if it fell off the edge of this building.

His punch came with a step to the side and memory—instinct—kicked in. I moved, folding the arm and snapping the bone.

He screamed, I released and backed away.

It'd been a really long time, since I had activated on someone.

Memories from another life tried to come forth, but I pushed them away, side-stepping a punch and shooting two fingers into two eyes. My nails were short, but my fingers did the job.

Word of my instructor screaming in my conscious.

Hands up! I said, HANDS UP!

A side kick; a fake that tried to lead into a sweeping hook. I blocked the arcing motion with a slapping hit of the hand, side-stepping in to sweep the leg that held the Homunculus balance.

So they could fight...

As he fell, he bent backwards, hands picking him up and flipping him upright and away from me. Acrobatic, too.