George Weasley one shot

It was almost Christmas so George and I were heading back to the Burrow, where the whole family was celebrating. Ever since we had gotten engaged, Mrs. Weasley had invited me over to the house almost every week, but this was the first time that I had stayed with for a long period of time, and I was pretty nervous. George's mum was really pushing for a wedding. Whenever George and I were together in a room, she made some sort of comment about "wedding bells" or how she "loves weddings" or "love is in the air" or even something about grandchildren! Personally, I think that she just wants a wedding to distract everyone from Fred's death, which, although it was two years ago, no one has really gotten over it.

It's always especially awkward because George and I aren't in a rush to get married. We've been engaged for a year, and dated for three before that, but we haven't set a wedding date yet. We've just been really busy - the joke shop has really taken off, and my job as an auror doesn't allow me much spare time.

I was suddenly interrupted from my thoughts by George touching me on the shoulder. "y/n? y/n! Are you even listening?"

I giggled and blushed a bit. "Sorry, I'm just kind of distracted."

He entwined his fingers in mine and said sarcastically, "No big deal. You just missed the best joke that I've told all day."

I rolled my eyes and he kissed me on the forehead. "I know you're nervous," he whispered, "but my entire family likes you."

"That's not it - " I started to say when the train we were on pulled into the station and I was interrupted by a loud bell. I glanced out the window and saw Mrs. Weasley waving frantically, with Ginny and Harry standing by, looking embarrassed.

We made our way off the train and were immediately pulled into a bear hug by George's mum. "Hi, Mrs. Weasley," I said. I had to smile when I saw how excited she was.

"Come on," she said, "Everyone's waiting for you at home." And with that, she set off quickly through the crowd. I could barely keep up carrying my huge trunk. "Don't worry about your bag, dear," she said to me after glancing back and noticing how much I was struggling, "That's what Harry's here for."

"Great!" George cried, "Is he getting mine, too?"

"No," said Mrs. Weasley, "Just consider yourself lucky. Once you two are married, you'll be carrying all of the bags." I grimaced at George as soon as she turned her back.

After a few moments more of fighting through the crowd, we made it to their car, where Mr. Weasley was waiting.

"Hello," he said, greeting us with hugs. "We'd better hurry, I know how excited everyone is to see you two. Teddy especially - I think he's expecting another present. He really liked the trick wand you brought him last time."

"So," Mrs. Weasley said as soon as we were all in the car, "You two haven't set a date yet, have you? For the wedding?"

I inwardly cringed and Ginny, who was sitting next to me, made a face. "Um, no," I said quietly. I felt George slip his hand around my waist; he knew how awkward this was making me feel.

"But I'm sure it won't be long," she continued, looking a bit discouraged. "After all, when I see you two together, I can practically hear the wedding bells!"

Before she could continue, Ginny jumped in and started telling me about her Quidditch team while George started talking to Harry. The ride got much better after that.

When we got to the Burrow, I was surprised to see so many familiar faces. Ron, Hermione, Percy, Bill, Charlie, Luna, Neville, Fleur, and of course little Teddy were all there. I was thrilled to see them.

After hugs all around, Mrs. Weasley sat us all down for dinner. I chatted to Hermione and Luna for most of the night, but had to excuse myself when I heard Mrs. Weasley say to George, "You know, fall is the perfect season for a wedding. That's when Arthur and I got married. Oh, I still have my dress! y/n would look lovely in it. Remind me to have her try it on before you two leave..."

I hurried down the hall and up the stairs to the room that George and I were sharing. I could feel my eyes filling with tears. I didn't want a wedding right now, couldn't she see that?

I sat down on the bed and started to cry, but after a few moments, I felt a familiar pair of arms wrap around me. "Shh, y/n, it's okay," George whispered, stroking my hair.

I let myself relax into the embrace and we sat together for a few moments while I calmed myself down. After he let go of me, George said, "I'm sorry about my mum. I didn't know all of this wedding stuff was upsetting you so much."

"It's alright," I replied, "I'm just really nervous about getting married. I love you George, you know I do, but I'm just not ready for that."

"Me neither," he smiled, "Like mum always says, I'm too immature."

I rolled my eyes and he took my hand and stood up, "I'll ask her to stop with the wedding stuff later tonight. But right now we've got to go - we'll miss dessert!"

I tried to hide my smile as he pulled me downstairs.