Draco Malfoy one shot

You were sitting at dinner eating with your new found friends from Gryffindor. Lately, you had become really close with Neville, Seamus, Dean, Hermione, and Ginny. Harry and Ron were still trying to warm up to you, seeing as how you were a Slytherin and also Draco Malfoy's girlfriend, but they were almost there so that made you happy.

However, it didn't make Draco happy.

He had no idea how this happened. You, Draco Malfoy's Slytherin, pure-blooded girlfriend, hanging out with a bunch of Gryffindors? It didn't seem right to him and at first, he didn't believe it. Until he noticed you, Neville, and Seamus smiling and walking to class together and laughing over something Seamus had said.

He tried not to think too much of it. He tried to ignore it, telling himself you'd ditch them soon enough, but you never did. You genuinely seemed to like these people and that made him a little angry. On top of that, other Slytherin just so happened to catch you hanging out with them and teased Draco about it. To him, it was embarrassing, that you would even consider hanging out with people like them.

But you really liked them, they were good people, and they always were there for a laugh, a smile, some food even. They were good friends to you all around.

But Draco couldn't see that, so he had called you to his room to at first discuss it, which quickly turned into an argument.

"(Y/N) you don't belong with those people. They're nothing like us, and you know that." Draco said irritably, trying to get his point across to you.

You rolled your eyes at him. "Draco, you don't know them. You only know the side of them you see because you guys treat them so horribly."

Draco raised his eyebrows. "We treat them horribly?"

"Yes! You, Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy, anyone who is in Slytherin basically hates their guts all because of this asinine prejudice you guys have against them and it's ridiculous!" you retaliated.

"They treat us badly too!" he raised his voice incredulously, "They're rude, selfish, cocky, arrogant, annoying-"

You scoffed, interrupting him. "Look who's talking!"

He started to glare at you and was going to say something but you cut him off again.

"You act the same way too! Especially around the Gryffindors! And for what reason, just because you don't like them? Just because you think you're better than them?"

He narrowed his eyes at you. "(Y/N), we are better than them. We are full, pure-blooded wizards with the talent and the strength to do great things, far greater things than we could ever imagine. Those "wizards" or "witches" whatever the hell you wanna call them, they don't belong here and they never will belong here."

You rapidly shook your head at him. "That's not true Draco."

"Yes it is!" he said harshly, "They're Mudbloods and half-borns, and they don't deserve to be here! You will no longer be associating with them, end of discussion." He turned his back on you to look out the window.

You gaped at him. "Excuse me? Where the hell do you get off telling me what to do, who I can or cannot hang out with? You don't own me."

He pressed his hand against the glass and exhaled.

"They're worth so much more than you think Draco. They're good, honest, people. They know how to make people laugh, they know how to make people smile."

You waited for him to speak but he didn't say anything, so you could kept on going.

"Like Neville, take Neville for instance! That boy is really shy but when you get through to him, he is seriously a really nice guy. He knows how to give good advice and he's amazing at Herbology! You should see in him in class, it's fantastic!"

You kept going. "And Seamus! Seamus can dance, did you know that? I didn't know myself until he put on some Irish music and started doing a jig he used to do as a kid to it."

Still, he didn't say anything.

You started smiling and kept going on about your friends. "And Ginny may look shy, but when you get to know her, it's like she's another person. She's inherited her wit from Fred and George. And she's not afraid to stand up for herself, despite what people say about her. Hermione, she is extremely smart and clever. She can be a bit bossy sometimes but most of the time, she knows what she's doing. And she's always there to lend a hand when you need it."

You walked up behind Draco and wrapped your arms around his waist, your head leaning on his shoulder blades. Draco exhaled and softened under your touch.

"Give them a chance", you murmured, "There's so much more to them than you think."

Draco sighed and thought about it in his head. What if you were right? What if they really were good people, but he just couldn't see it because he was too busy being an arrogant prick? He knew this wouldn't be an easy choice for him, to defy everything he knew to try to see things from a different perspective.

But maybe you were right.

Draco turned around in your arms and placed his hands on the small of your back. He sighed and kissed you softly on your forehead. Then he leaned his forehead against yours.

"I wanna meet them.." he said softly.

You smiled widely at him and took his hand, leading him out of the Slytherin tower to go find your friends wandering around the school.

This was a giant leap of faith he was taking, but it turned out to be one of the greatest things he'd ever done.