Harry Potter one shot

Your parents had finally managed to send over your guitar to Hogwarts for your birthday. Honestly, you had no idea how they did it but you were definitely excited to play it again.

You pulled the guitar out of your case and laid it across your lap for you to see. The wood was still smooth and shiny, the strings still had that musical chime to them even though you had been playing with the same guitar since you were six, and it was still tuned just the way you liked it.

Tears started to come to your eyes, you had missed this beautiful instrument so much. It was hard for you, not being able to have it with you here for the past four years here at Hogwarts. Until now, that is.

You quickly wiped away your tears and plucked each string with your pick, a long sigh coming out from your mouth.

See, not very many people knew this, but music was something you've held dear to you since you were a child. Music was all you wanted to do with your life, you were sure of it. Even when you got accepted into Hogwarts, you had no desire to do anything with the education you received here. Instead, you wanted to be a famous Muggle musician and travel the globe on your very own tour.

It was refreshing, to be able to play music again and to finally be at peace with yourself. You didn't even want to go to dinner, all you wanted to do was sit in your room, play, and sing quietly to yourself.

Then Hermione walked in.

She saw your guitar and her face instantly lit up.

"(Y/N)! Is this your guitar?" she asked with a wide grin on her face.

You sheepishly smiled and nodded.

Hermione sat down next to you. "Can you play something for me?"

You raised your eyebrows in a surprised manner but you complied anyway.

"Um...sure. What do you want me to play?" you asked her.

She moved her legs so she was sitting in a cross-legged position. "Anything! Play me one of those American songs you love!"

You smiled a bit and started playing an acoustic version of Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'"

You started out a bit rocky at first, but you eventually started to get the hang of it and pretty soon, you were playing just like how you used to when you were younger. Your pick was in your fingers and you were gliding it effortlessly over the guitar, even strumming harder and singing louder.

When you were done, you stopped and looked at your guitar, then to Hermione.

She was beaming at you, clapping at the end.

"(Y/N) you have to sing that song at dinner tonight!" she squeaked excitedly.

Your eyes widened and your heart picked up a bit. "What? No, no, no, I don't think I could do that." You had never performed in front of people before, just your family, mostly.

Hermione tugged on your arm. "Oh come on! It'll be fun! Everyone will love it!"

You rapidly shook your head and went to put your guitar away when she managed to sing out, "Harry will like it..."

You gasped and turned around. Harry had been your crush since First Year. If he loved your music, you would become the happiest girl on the planet.

Finally, you sighed and gave in. "Alright, fine. I'll do it."

Hermione grinned and dragged you downstairs into the Great Hall with your guitar in hand. She had you stand by the table where the school staff sat and bravely walked up in front of Dumbledore.