Remus Lupin one shot

I bit my lip and tried to pretend I couldn't hear Bellatrix Lestrange as I washed my hands in the girls' bathroom. She was whispering to her friends, something mean and horrible, that I didn't want to hear.

"She's practically a boy! They shouldn't even let her in here!"

I felt tears stinging my eyes and I turned the tap off and quickly left, not meeting her eyes. Bellatrix had been well-endowed since her second year at Hogwarts, and she loved to point out that I wasn't.

It hadn't been a good day, and I tried to forget her awful words as I climbed the stairs to the Gryffindor common room. I tried to forget, but the tears in my eyes just wouldn't go away.

I heard footsteps on the stairs behind me and pasted on a smile as I looked up to find Remus Lupin, one of my best friends.

"Hey y/n - whoa, what's up?" he asked, pulling me into a hug. Remus could always see through my lies, which could be either a good or bad thing, depending on the day.

I bit my lip and choked back my tears. "It's nothing. It's just been a rough day."

I felt him relax. For once, he believed me. At least, he did until Bellatrix walked up behind us and said, "Remus, who's your new boyfriend? Oh, it's y/n! Sorry, I didn't recognize you! You have such a manly figure!"

Remus froze, then said, "Come on, y/n. We're leaving."

Bellatrix cackled as we walked away, Remus pulling on my hand so I had to half jog to keep up with him. I heard him swear under his breath, something I had never heard before.

"y/n, why didn't you tell me she's been talking to you like that?" Remus asked, when we were sitting by the roaring fire in the safety of the common room.

I shrugged glumly. "There's nothing you can do about it, so why should I worry you?"

I saw a mischievous glint in Remus' eye. "What makes you think that? Sirius and James aren't the only pranksters around."

xxx Three Days Later xxx

I was beginning to think that Remus had just let Bellatrix go, like I had urged him to, when on the way to class, I saw a boy that I didn't recognize with dark, short, curly hair rush by. It looked like he was crying.

I ignored the incident and continued on my way down to the dungeons for Potions class, when I saw the boy hugging Narcissa Malfoy and sobbing. "What am I going to do?" he asked.

Something clicked in my mind and I smirked evilly. "Narcissa, who's your new boyfriend?"

The boy turned around, eyes red from crying, to glare at me with a familiar face.

"Bellatrix, is that you? What happened? Sorry, I didn't recognize you because of your manly figure."

I giggled as I walked away.

Bellatrix never bothered me again.