fifty five

THE SEND OFF

The young blonde rushed around her room as she made sure she didn't forget anything she would need in New York

The young blonde rushed around her room as she made sure she didn't forget anything she would need in New York. Meanwhile, her mother sat on her bed sniffling, not being able to bring herself to be of any help.

"Mama," Lucy sighed, sitting down beside her, "You've been like this all weekend."

"Well excuse me!" Kitty shouted indignantly, waving her arms wildly, "For having empty nest syndrome!"

Lucy furrowed her eyebrows for a moment and pursed her lips, "Mom, Eric is staying and Laurie came back home."

"It's not the same!" Kitty sniffed, reaching for another tissue, "You're my daughter, and—well, Laurie doesn't do nice mother-daughter stuff with me!"

Lucy smiled and reached into a drawer on her bedside table before smiling, "Like go through an old scrapbook the weekend before going to college?"

Kitty took one glance at the scrapbook and let out a sob before opening it and seeing the first photo of Lucy and Eric in matching outfits as infants—bonnet and all. "Exactly like that!" her mother laughed her trademark laugh when looking at her babies.

"Listen," Eric whispered lowly in the kitchen, "As we all know, Lucy is leaving tonight and uprooting her entire life to go to New York. And if I know my sister at all, she's gonna be torn up about it—like sure she's excited, but damn does she get nostalgic. So just, no one bring up the good ol' days or crap like that."

"Got it," everyone chorused and Red merely grunted while Kitty sniffed, hugging Schotzie close to her.

Kelso nodded, "Yeah, and be sure not to bring up how she missed the opportunity of a lifetime to not rebound with me!" Causing everyone to shoot him quizzical looks and Hyde and Jackie to each give him a swift punch.

Just then, Lucy pushed through the kitchen door, rubbing her eyes and looking up to see her friends and family.

"Hey," Jackie said, a sad undertone in her voice. Everyone sat on the edge of their seats as they waited for the girl to freak out about leaving.

But her eyes widened with excitement and she shot her arms up in the air before shouting, "It's my last morning before going to college!"

Everyone looked at Eric out of the corner of their eye and smiled warmly at his twin. "Luce, aren't you going to miss all our adventures?" He asked warily.

The blonde caught her toast as It popped up from the toaster, "What adventures?" she furrowed her eyebrows together as she took a bite.

"Wh—" Eric scoffed, "What adventures?" his voice went up a pitch.

Everyone sat at the table quietly and Lucy squinted at them, "What the heck is up with you guys?" They continued to look at her forlornly, "Oh knock it off! It's not like I'm dying!" Jackie, Fez and Kelso batted their eyelashes at the girl before she put her coffee mug down and sighed, "Fine! We'll go do stuff today! Let me get ready."