forty seven

THE SAME OLD

The gang sat in the basement, all in their typical circle formation

The gang sat in the basement, all in their typical circle formation. It was January and senior year was trudging by slowly—putting all the teens on edge and sending them further into the spiral of boredom.

Hyde ranted, "I'm telling you, the government has a car that runs on water, man. They just don't want us to know, because then we'd buy all the water. Then there'd be nothing left to drink but beer. And the government knows that beer will set us free!"

On his lap, Lucy let her head fall back on his shoulder and fake snored, until he tickled her causing her to laugh widely and fall out of his lap and onto the floor. From the floor the blonde perked up, "Beer doesn't sound too bad right now."

Fez rolled his eyes, "Hyde, you told us about the car a million times, and everytime Lucy makes fun of you for it you tickle her and you know laughing girls makes me horny. Can we please talk about how hungry and horny I am? I wish I had a lady made of pizza. Or a pizza made of boobs!"

"Yeah, hungry, check; horny, check," Eric said unamused. "Conspiracies, check; grossly in love, check," he nodded back over to the couple, the two now whispering to eachother quietly and grinning widely. "It's getting a little old, guys. God, I feel like I'm Luke Skywalker, you know? Remember when he was living on Tatooine before R2 and 3PO showed up? Just workin' on Uncle Owen's water farm all day. Not even allowed to go into Toshie Station to pick up some power converters. Boring!"

Kelso shook his head, "Eric, enough with the Star Wars crap! Whenever you talk about that stuff, I frown. And when I frown, my skin wrinkles. And if I get wrinkles, my free ride is over. And I like my free ride!"

"Yeah, we get it, you're good looking—" Hyde started.

Lucy raised her hand a little, "And I'm better looking." All the boys nodded, Eric shouting, "Heck yeah, Twin Code!"

"But look," Hyde continued, "Doesn't anybody have anything new to say?" Everyone looked around at one another, all trying to think of something new.

"See I told you! This town is so boring there's nothing to even talk about when we're high now!" Lucy shouted, causing everyone to groan.

"You've been on this for six years Luce!" Kelso shouted.

"Because I'm right!" Lucy yelled, giving her friends a look like come on.

There was a pause before Hyde said, "So there's this car that runs on water, man," and the boys started throwing random items at Hyde, hitting Lucy in the process.

The teens decided to spend the afternoon in the basement. Hyde in his seat with Lucy on on the floor, her back resting between his legs while she flipped through a magazine; Eric sitting on the arm of the couch next to Donna, Jackie on her other side; and Kelso sitting in the lawn chair.