fifty one

THE SUMMER PLANS

Lucy basically sat in shock in the living room after the ambulance came to take Red to the hospital, Kitty went and sat with him in the back—the kids were told they could meet them there but not allowed in

Lucy basically sat in shock in the living room after the ambulance came to take Red to the hospital, Kitty went and sat with him in the back—the kids were told they could meet them there but not allowed in. She was chewing the inside of her cheek in worry and her eyes were staring blankly ahead at the tv.

"Luce," her twin called from the staircase, walking down slowly, holding a bag with a change of clothes for their mother. She hummed and spun around in the oversized green chair. "We're gonna head over now."

"Okay," she nodded hesitantly before standing up and going out to the Cruiser; Eric hopping in the driver's seat and Laurie slamming the passenger seat closed while Lucy slid into the back next to Hyde. All of them driving in silence on the way to the hospital.

Once they arrived everyone piled out and made way to the front desk. "Forman," Eric spoke up.

"You're all family?" the nurse questioned as she flipped through her clipboard. Eric nodded in reply, rubbing the tiredness out of his eye. The nurse directed them down the neverending hallway to Red's room.

Laurie took one peak into the room and spun on her heel, facing Lucy, "I can't go in there."

"What do you mean?" Lucy asked in a hushed whisper, reaching for her sister's hand.

"I can't see Dad like that—look at him!" she whispered with a point.

Lucy peaked through the window and saw her father, propped up on the hospital bed, talking quietly with Kitty and the boys by his side. Multiple machines around him beeping and his face still pale in recovery. Red Forman made a point to keep up his strong front and to never let his guard down—so seeing him so vulnerable, it was off-putting to all of them—and especially his daughters.

After a moment, Laurie spoke up softly, "I did that to him."

Lucy whipped her head around to her sister and scrunched up her nose, "Don't be dumb Laurie," she said suddenly. "It's nobody's fault." So, hand in hand, the sisters walked in and joined the boys and their mother.

"Ah, there are my girls," Red greeted as they sat by his side, each giving him a kiss on the cheek.

Later that night, the doctor came back into Red's room while he was sleeping and informed everyone that he would be fine but needed to stay a couple more days before being checked out.

The air literally felt lighter and everyone sighed in relief. Kitty jumped up with a clap and said "Okay, I'm going to go down and get us all some food from the cafeteria!" Laurie following behind her.

Eric nodded and said, "I'm gonna call Donna and let her know that everything's going to be alright."

Lucy turned to look at her father and started walking towards the door, with a nod she said, "I'm just going to go use the bathroom." But even though she could keep her voice steady she wasn't able to keep her hands from shaking, and left the room as the door slammed shut and she walked down the hallway.