forty nine

THE HOTEL ROOM

It had been about a month since the breakup

It had been about a month since the breakup. In the meantime, Lucy poured all her efforts into her exams and scholarships to colleges.  It was a welcomed distraction, considering that the alternative was moping around all day because of her breakup. And she'd be damned if she cried over Steven Hyde one more time.

One day, she was sitting in her room, writing away furiously for a scholarship where Eric was sitting next to her, reading through the paper for a job the next town over he could possibly get.

"You know Luce," Eric spoke up suddenly, "The way you handle things is really freaky."

Lucy sighed and looked up, pushing her hair behind her ears, "How so?"

"Well, just, um, you're really distant," Eric shrugged.

"You spent an entire month away in your room after you broke up with Donna. That was pretty distant," Lucy pointed out.

Eric's eyes went wide before he furrowed his eyebrows, "Well that's rude. Listen, I'm telling you from a place of experience. Make sure you don't shut everyone else out. And make sure you don't swear off relationships completely."

"Eric, have I shut you out?" the blonde sighed. Her twin shook his head, "Then I'm not really worried about it if I still have you. Plus, I have other friends besides you guys you know?"

"Oh really?" Eric scoffed.

"Yes!" Lucy insisted, "I've been talking to this guy and he's real sweet."

"Alright, alright," Eric chuckled slightly before becoming somber again, "Hey, um, but have you guys talked?"

"Besides the cordial good morning asshole, good night asshole, get out of my way dillhole, no. Why would I talk to him?" Lucy sighed.

"I'm really sorry you're going through this Luce," Eric said seriously, looking over at his sister.

Lucy swallowed down her urge to cry and shrugged, "Few more months right? And he didn't even apply or want to be with me so then I'll be away from him and this town. I can make it."

And that was the most she talked about it with anyone. She refused to let herself dwell on it or what it could've been.

It was the weekend of the nurse's convention at the hotel Kelso and Hyde worked at. Meaning that her mom was given access to alcohol, and all the guys were able to gawk at the nurses in their uniforms. But it was really just another night in the Forman household: Eric got back from his new job at the dog food factory; Red called Donna and Eric out about stalling their wedding; Kelso and Fez were bumming around the basement for some reason; Hyde was off at the hotel, and Kitty was getting drinks at the convention. And Lucy was on the phone with a friend, making plans—determined to not close herself off.