fifty two

THE RASH

The girls sat out tanning in the driveway, sunglasses pulled down and reclined in their seats

"You know, this might be the last time we tan with Donna, Jackie," Lucy said, suddenly struck with realization.

Donna sat up abruptly, "Oh my gosh! Don't start, you're gonna make me sad!"

Just then, the boys all filed out of the kitchen.
"Ladies! Ladies' bodies!" Kelso greeted with a nod.

"Ah, so glad I'll be here this summer to hear all the sleazy comments from Kelso," Lucy muttered under her breath.

"I can't believe you're staying," Donna sat up with a frown.

"I for one, am so relieved you're staying Lucy!" Jackie added, "Had you left, well, there'd be no one pretty enough for me to hang out with and my standing at school would plummet."

Lucy smirked and shoved the girl's shoulder gently. "Yeah, I don't know what I would've done without my annoying little friend."

"I'm not little!" Jackie laughed.

"Okay, ladies. All these sound waves are interfering with my sunrays. Let's tan!" Kelso shouted as he peeled his shirt off, "Alright, I'm gonna need you to lotion me up, darling, but only rub where you can see. No roaming!"

And Lucy handed Donna the bottle of sunscreen, untwisting the cap and Donna splattered the sunscreen all over his chest. Causing the girls to erupt with laughter.

That afternoon, Eric walked into the kitchen where Lucy sat beside her parents, drinking coffee. "Hey, Mom, I have something I wanna tell you," Eric announced. "I've decided not to move away."

Much to Lucy's surprise, Red didn't have a response and merely grunted, "He already talked to me about it," when Lucy looked at him quizzically.

Eric nodded, "I'm gonna stay and put off college for just a little while—"

"My baby, my baby, my baby!" Kitty shouted, overjoyed, leaping up to pull Eric into a hug.

"I still think he should go if I'm staying," Lucy spoke up, standing up, leaning against the counter and holding her mug.

"Oh, uh, speaking of. I talked to Dad," Eric turned to his twin, "We want you to go to NYU."

Lucy scoffed, "Lotta good what you or any of us want. I didn't get a full ride."

"Pay for the difference with my college savings," Eric nodded.

Lucy didn't process what was said, and her coffee mug fell to the floor with a clatter when she finally did. "I—I can't do that to you."