Revealed, Part II

Start from the beginning

But I didn't move. Was... Was I really seeing that right?

I blinked. I was. Ed was definitely taller than me now, at least by a few inches. What... What had happened?! I'd only been here for a week!

He raised one eyebrow at me. "What's wrong? Is your leg hurting?"

I was still a little too lost to really reply. That didn't make any sense. I mean, obviously he's supposed to get taller eventually just given his age, but to grow so much in such a small amount of time?

The doctor called my name, the sound of it shattering my thoughts. I gripped Ed's hands a little harder than I should have, feeling his fingers lightly stretch out away from mine, a shout stifled against his mouth.

"Sorry." I mumbled before looking down at the doctor.

The bald man smiled, his glasses catching the light.

"Let's see if we can take that first step!"

I stuttered out a small reply, looking down at Ed and my feet. I tried to regain myself and ignore the strangeness of Ed's height increase. I felt the alchemist in question squeeze my hands just a little bit more.

Heat rose to my face and I looked up, seeing a soft blush on his as well. Ed glanced away from me, staring down at my right leg.

"C'mon." he coaxed, and a small smile came to him. A grin broke through, but I could tell he was just as worried as I was. "First step. Let's see if we can do it, okay?"

I nodded, smiling a little as well before turning back down. I stimulated my leg, feeling the light tension spread down until it reached my knee and then further passed. I picked my foot up, the muscles underneath and to the side of my shin tensing more than they usually would. Like they were straining, almost.

"Good, good..." the doctor murmured. "A little further, if we can. Let's try and take that first step!"

My eyes were on Edward as I placed the ball of my foot down onto the floor again, a little further than it was before. He looked up, grinning wide again. His hand squeezed mine, echoing his brother's verbal cheer.

_____________

A few days later, I was finally released. It felt great to be back in regular clothes, and even better to be out of my hospital room. Even if I was currently standing in the hallway with Al.

"Ed's not here?" I asked.

"He actually stepped out to go to the rooftop a few minutes ago!" Al said. "We actually didn't think you'd be released today!"

"That's alright!" I responded, dismissing the apology he wasn't saying. My arms came behind my back, hands interlocking as I bent forward, giving myself a light stretch. "Ah, it feels so good to be standing again!"

Al smiled at me. "We can meet Brother on the rooftop, if you want."

I nodded, looking around for the overhead signs to tell me where the staircases were. Al seemed to know what I was thinking of, because he took a step to the left, blocking me from reading the nearest sign. He kept his hands behind him as he spoke.

"Didn't the doctor say to take it easy?"

I blinked, and then gave him a grin. "Oh, right!"

The elevator ride was filled with quiet small talk, a peacefulness that I had grown to feel whenever being around Al. He told me about how one time when he and Ed were traveling, he kept a cat inside his armor. He didn't realize it was pregnant; he just thought it was fat until there was suddenly a litter of kittens crying inside his body. I laughed at this, having a hard time keeping my amusement behind my hand as the elevator stopped and its doors opened.