Revealed, Part II

Rehabilitation started almost a week after I first arrived. I felt awful about still keeping them here, but Ed and Al kept dismissing my apologizes. Eventually, they just stopped responding to them, continuing to sit on the floor or in the chairs with their noses in a bunch of books.

Al and I talked a lot, discussing nearly everything from cuisine dishes to which cat breed was the softest/cutest. Ed didn't add in much on that second conversation, but he chimed in a few times whenever we were talking about food. This always led to a conversation about the Hughes family again, and soon Ed and Al were lost in a cloud of memories with grins in their eyes and faces.

When the doctor announced we could try for me walking, I was nervous. I carefully got out of bed, seeing Al watch me from his spot against the wall. Ed had stood up, taking quiet steps towards me with his hands in his pockets.

The doctor was holding my arm, making sure I didn't fall as I began moving the smallest amount of weight onto my leg.

"Now, now, be careful... Don't wanna go too fast, now do we?"

I made a brief sound of agreement in my mouth, stare dropping to my legs. I'd been confined to this sack of a hospital gown for so long, and I missed my normal clothes... I suppressed a sigh, focusing on gradually putting more of my body weight onto my right leg. The muscles felt a little odd, but it made sense; I hadn't used them in a while.

"Looks good so far."

I watched the doctor begin to step away, keeping his hand under my forearm as he called Edward's attention to him.

"Can you keep her steady and have her walk?" he asked the alchemist. "I'd like to take a look and see if her muscles are responding correctly."

Ed just nodded, his fingers replacing the doctor's light ones as soon as the pressure had left. He smiled at me, but I could tell he was just as worried as I was. I kept pushing a light amount of weight on and off of my right foot, trying to balance myself and keep the pressure off of Ed.

From his place crouched beside me, the doctor spoke.

"Now, don't be shy, dear. Unless your leg is hurting, that is!"

"No," I replied quickly. "Not yet, anyway."

I saw a frown move to Ed's lips, guilt coming to my stomach. I set more weight onto my foot, feeling little to no pain.

I grinned, looking down at my own leg. "Hey, it doesn't really hurt!"

"That's good!" the doctor replied. "Now how about we try walking? Mr. Elric, could you do the honors?"

I grinned at him, the formality of his name seeming a little strange. Ed just returned my smile as he stepped in front of me, his other hand carefully supporting my arm as the one that had been holding me came in front of himself. It was a strange way to transfer positions, but then again Ed was kind of a strange guy. A wonderful person, but also a bit strange.

His golden eyes looked up to meet mine as his hand trailed down my outstretched arm. I failed to suppress a few shivers, and soon, his fingers slipped through the spaces of mine, gently holding my hand with his. I could tell from the hardness between my fingers that he was using his automail hand, even if the limb was covered with his usual coat and glove.

He squeezed a little, pressing our palms together with a grin. I noticed the pink tinting his face, and I was sure there was more color than usual in mine as well.

"Alright," the doctor was saying. "Now let's see if you can walk."

Ed held out his other hand, and realizing what he was doing, I took it, our fingers slipping between each other again. It was almost like we were dancing in a way, especially when he gently stepped one foot back; a motion for me to try and follow.