forty second

I dressed in a simple outfit, black leggings and my infamous converse that are ripped a little on the sides and a sheer black blouse that fell perfectly onto my body with my hair straightened onto my back. I wait for Luke on the bench that was on the front porch. Soon his bright white headlights stopped in my driveway. He didn't bother getting out to get me because I was already getting into his car.

"Hi," I say nervously. I'm not sure if he's calmed down yet or if he's still mad at me for 'meddling' when I was really just trying to get him and Ashton to be friends again. It's not even a big deal.

"Hello," he mutters and pulls out of my driveway and down the street. Weightless by All Time Low is playing faintly in the car and I quietly drum my fingers on my knee. I lay my head on the window with my eyes closed while I focus on the faint music. I can hear his steady breathing through the silence when the song ends and any sound from inside the car has vanished.

"I invited one of my friends," I say quietly. He doesn't look at me, he keeps his eyes forwards.

He doesn't respond.

"Did you hear me?" I ask slowly and he rolls his eyes." You know what, can you just turn around and drop me off at my house or something?"

"What's wrong now?" He says in a hushed voice. He parks in a parking space close to the restaurant.

"I don't want to be here if you're going to be like this," I sigh and stare out the window so I don't have to see him.

"Be like what? So you're the only one who is allowed to get upset?" He scoffs.

"I'll just call a cab," I say and get out of his car. I shut the door behind me and quickly dial the number. He doesn't stop me which is actually quite a surprise to me. I don't want to call a cab, I was hoping he'd chase after me and say he loves me and that's he's sorry for yelling at me earlier but of course none of that happens. He's the one who lied to me, the one who called me rude names, the one who was very close to physically hurting me, the one who made me cry all those times but I continue to forgive him for every stupid thing he does.

When I get off the phone with the cab service I glance into Luke's car from where I'm standing which is up on the sidewalk. His car is empty. He's already inside without me. The cab service said a cab would be here in 10 minutes and I'm not sure what I should do for the time being. My cheeks start to heat up when I see one of my old cheerleading friends, Pepper, walk towards me with a big smile on her face. Pepper moved to California from New York around the same time I did. I force a smile and hug her warmly. Behind her is Ashton who looks somewhat happy. Her real name isn't Pepper but she had dyed her hair a beautiful silver for the longest time before dying it to a Harry Potter jet-black. She looked beautiful with her silver hair and then one day she showed up with black hair. I could hardly recognise her. Pepper's real name is Harvey but she hates the name. I would switch names with her in a heart beat, I'm not sure why but I would.

"Let's go in, yeah?" Ashton says and lays his hand on her back.

"I'm going to stick around out here for a little bit," I say with a small smile. Ashton furrows his brows at me but I shoo him off with a nervous chuckle and they turn to walk inside. I'm very surprised Luke hasn't come to talk to me. If it were the other way around I would have said it was fine and that I love him the second after everything happened. He's obviously not weak like me. I regret not bringing a proper jacket, instead I have my Redskins sweatshirt with me. I pull the grey sweatshirt over my head and sit down on the bench behind me. I pull my legs up with me to sit in a pretzel sort of position. I check my phone every 20 seconds to see how much time has passed (so far only 5 minutes). My stomach begins to rumble but I refuse to go inside and sit down next to Luke.