thirty ninth

"Hey." I say when Luke finally comes back. Harry, Ashton, Calum, and Sophia are behind him.

"I got your locket." He smiles and I let out a huge sigh of relief.

"Thank you so much." I say and hug him tight.

"What did you do today? Your mom told me you were out of the room most of the day." He says and sits on the side of the bed with me.

"I, uh, I visited the guy I hit in the accident." I say. I use all my strength to keep my tears trapped in my eyes." He's in a coma." I welcome the unwanted tears that fall from my eyes and onto my cheeks and blankets below me.

"Hey, it's not your fault." He says quietly and pulls me into a hug.

"Yes it is. I was drunk. He doesn't deserve this." I say quietly and bury my face in his neck.

"I promise you this, you only had one or two cups of beer." He says.

"I shouldn't have gotten in my car regardless." I say." I can't drink a lot."

"It's going to be okay." He says.

"Anyways." I chuckle." What's going on?"

"They were waiting outside when I got here." He tells me.

"Just wanted to see if you were okay." Sophia says and gives me a hug.

"I'm good." I say.

"Brought you a couple movies." Ashton says.

"Did you all come together?" I ask and he nods.

"Driving with him was like being driven my satan." Sophia says and he rolls his eyes.

"Back at you." He says and she scoffs.

"What movies?" I ask and change the subject.

"All the Harry Potter movies." Ashton says and pulls them out of his backpack." And you said the last book was your favourite so we got you that too."

"I thought the second book was your favourite." Luke says and Ashton shifts uncomfortably.

"Does it really matter?" I chuckle and he crosses his arms.

"Do you like the last book or the second book?" Ashton asks.

Is this their way of asking me to choose which one of them I like better.

"Are we still talking about books?" I ask and look over to Calum.

"Of course we are." Luke says.

"I'm so over this." Sophia scoffs and walks out the room, slamming the door behind her.

"I can't believe how insensitive you both are." I scoff and push myself off the bed. When Luke tries to help me I shove him away from me and let Calum help.

"I'll be back and when I am back we're talking about this." I say and roll my IV stand with me and out the door to where she's sitting on the floor against the wall.

"Hey." I say and sit down next to her.

"I'm so sorry for making this about me." She says quietly and rests her head against the wall behind us.

"I'm actually thankful because now everyone will stop asking me how I'm doing, at least for a little bit." I say and she forces a smile.

"Talk to me." I nudge her.

"He makes me crazy and it hurts so much because he loves you and not me." She says quietly.

"I'm sorry." I say.