thirty eighth

I catch the gum in my hand and look over it while he shuts the door behind him on his way out. Luke remembers the first time we actually talked.

He begs me for gum one more time and I roll my eyes one more time. What does this guy want, besides gum. I know I have a full pack of gum in my pencil case but I'm not so sure I want to be giving it out to just anyone. He's pretty good looking so maybe he can be an exception. Wow, he's got amazing eyes. He sticks his bottom lip out and puts his hands together and furrows his brow at me. I chuckle softly at the sight of this beautiful man begging me for gum. I pull out one of my favourite flavours of gum, watermelon. I have a weakness for watermelon gum. What's his name again? Logan, I think. I just won't say his name. I hand him the gum and he unwraps it slowly. He stares at the bright pink stick and then up at me. He tilts his head slightly before a smile takes over his face.

"What the fuck is this?" He laughs quietly so the teacher can't hear him.

"It's watermelon." I smile. He shrugs and breaks the stick in half, chewing on it one by one, carefully.

"Thank you." He whispers to me and I roll my eyes. I wave him off before turning back around in my seat. I feel something go down the back of my shirt and I quickly arch my back and grab the mysterious item, a gum wrapper. His gum wrapper. I pull it out of my shirt and throw it at him before turning back around and taking down the notes on the front board. I can hear him laughing silently to himself and I can't help the stupid smile on my face.

"Why'd he give you gum?" Harry asks me and I slowly unwrap it. I break it in half just like he does and chew on them one by one.

"Because he's an asshole with a good memory." I say and scoot to one side of the bed so Harry can lie down with me.

"I'll visit tomorrow." Harry tells me while he pulls his jacket on. I wave to him while he walks out the door. Luke quietly slips into my room and I roll my eyes.

"You ate the gum." He smiles and sits down on the side of my bed.

"I'm still mad at you." I tell him but the only thing I want right now is to be in his arms.

"I know." He says quietly and looks down at my arm where he's drawing small circles.

"Why would you do it?" I ask him quietly.

"I don't know." He says." I was mad at you for something that wasn't your fault."

"What?"

"I don't like that you and Ashton still have feelings for each other." He shrugs." I want to be the only guy in your life."

"You're not." I tell him." But you're the only guy I love."

"I love you." He tells me and I pull him close to me so he's lying on the bed and I'm in his arms.

"I hate you." I tell him and he kisses my forehead.

"So are you going to fill me in with what's the fuck is going on because no one is telling me anything." He says.

"I had to take a test." I tell him.

"For what?" He says.

"To see if I have breast cancer." I whisper. It feels like the quieter I say it, the less real it feels.

"What." He chokes. He starts coughing really loud and a nurse has to come in and give him a glass of water.

"Did you get the results?" He asks me, he's no standing up and I'm sitting up with my hands in his.

"No. I get them in a couple days." I tell him.

"Oh my god." He gasps.

"Do your parents have breast cancer?"