sixteenth

"Hey," Zayn says when I sit down next to him in my first period.

"Hi," I say slowly.

It's not that I believe what Luke told me about Zayn and Ashton's sister but it does make me curious if I should be close with someone who might have killed someone.

"Take your seats class will begin in a minute," the teacher says when the bell rings.

Once again, my classes go by quickly and lunch finally arrives.

I sit down, with my burrito I bought from Chipotle before I came to school, in between Harry and Michael.

"Can I have some?" Harry whines for the third time since I opened the burrito wrapping.

"You literally have a sandwich in front of you," I say," eat it."

"Just a bite?" He pleads and puts his head on my shoulder.

"One bite," I sigh.

He honestly looks like a 7 year old who opened a present on Christmas to find the one thing he wanted most. Harry's present is a bite from my burrito.

"So can Luke still not talk to Jessica or did that change?" Ally asks.

"Changed," Luke says, his mouth full of his sandwich.

"Where were you yesterday?" Sophia asks me.

"What?"

"I texted you a bunch of time asking if I could borrow those really cute black strappy pumps," she says.

"I left my phone at my house," I say, remembering in the hurry I was to get to Luke, I left my phone on the couch.

"Were you with the boyfriend?" Elena teases and my eyes flick to Ashton who's been quiet the entire lunch period.

"No," I mutter.

"Oh," she says and backs off.

"Not all of us care about Jessica's life," Luke rolls his eyes.

"Shut up," Ashton says irritably.

"What's your problem?" Elena says, as her nosy self.

"Nothing," he says," I just wish you could all talk about something interesting for once. I mean all we talk about is stupid shit."

No one says anything for a while and we all awkwardly eat our food quietly while making awkward eye contact.

"Someone say something," I say after I can't take the silence anymore," please."

Ashton stands up and walks away to the kitchen area.

"What the hell is wrong with him?" Someone asks.

I groan and quickly chase after him.

"What are you doing?" I ask him when we get to the line.

"Getting a chocolate milk," he says nonchalant and looks down at the milk in his hand.

"Why are you acting like this?" I sigh.

"Like what?"

"Is this because of yesterday?" I ask.

"No," he says," I honestly couldn't care less if you were with Luke."

"So it is about yesterday," I say.

"You raced to Luke while we were on a date," he sighs," yeah, that made me pretty pissed."

"You said you understood why," I say quietly.