thirteenth

"Ashton!" I say when I open the door at 7 in the morning," what are you doing here?"

"I brought breakfast for you and I thought we could hang out today," he says.

"Oh," I say and let him in.

"Did I wake you?" He asks and places the basket on my kitchen table.

"Yes, but I needed to wake up early," I say," so thank you."

"How was your weekend?" He asks.

"Great," I tell him," what about you?"

"It was okay," he says.

"What happened?" I ask.

"I went to see my cousin and turns out he didn't want me there so I stayed at a hotel in North Carolina for the day and I just got back," he says.

"I'm so sorry," I say and hug him," are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he says," I really don't care."

"I won't bring it up," I tell him and he holds my hand while we sit down at the table.

We eat in somewhat silence and my heart starts racing when I remember Luke is sleeping upstairs.

"I need to tell you something," I say.

"What's up?" He says.

"Luke has been staying at my house," I tell him.

"Is he here right now?" He asks and stands up.

"Yes," I say and stand up with him," but he's asleep."

"You've been alone with Luke this weekend?" He asks and starts walking to the stairs.

"Nothing really happened except shopping and cooking dinner," I say and stand in front of the stair case.

And some make out sessions.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asks and walks up the stairs, past me.

"Because I didn't think it was a big deal," I say and follow him to my room where Luke is sleeping, shirtless.

"He's sleeping in your room?" He whispers.

"Yes but we didn't do anything like that," I say since I know he thinks we slept together.

"Nothing happened?" He asks and crosses his arms.

"Well," I start and he scoffs.

"What? Why would you cheat on me?" He asks," seriously, what the fuck did I do to you?"

"Can we go downstairs and talk about this?" I ask.

"Fine," he says and I try to hold his hand but he shakes me off and walks in front of me.

We sit down at the kitchen table without saying anything.

"Well?" He says.

"I need you to break up with me," I tell him while looking down at my fingernails.

"Why?" He asks," so you can be with Luke?"

"Of course not," I say and risk looking at his eyes which are on fire.

"Then why?" He asks and looks right through my eyes.

"Because," I start," you should be with someone that deserves you. I took you for granted and that's the worst thing I've ever done."

"The worst?" He scoffs.

"Yes," I confirm," I need you to break up with me so I can't hurt you anymore."