forty first

"I'm sorry! I didn't know he would be here!" Luke gestures towards Ashton and his eyes fill with anger.

"Leave him alone," I snap and shake my head. Luke is obviously surprised that I defended Ashton because he narrows his eyes and if looks could kill, well let's just say Ashton wouldn't be breathing at the moment. Luke runs his hand through his hair repeatedly. Something he does when he's nervous or upset.

"Wait, you have breast cancer and you were trying to hide it from me?" Ashton says. He's obviously still confused.

"Listen to me, you tell a single person, even Calum and I don't know what I'll do," I say. I try to search my brain for the right words but nothing can explain how mad I am. He's still got that confused look on his damn face.

"So you do have cancer?" He asks simply and Luke groans loud.

"No, she doesn't fucking have cancer!" Luke shouts at him.

"What is going on in here?" My mom bursts into the room. Just what I need, my mother coming to confuse everyone further.

"Nothing, go away," I say and she crosses her arms against her chest.

"Will you just fucking leave for like a minute," Luke says and my jaw drops along with everyone else's," Mrs. Whitman." He adds.

She huffs and storms out of the room.

"Can you both meet me at my house later tonight? I'm being released in an hour or so," I say.

"Should I use the door or your window?" Ashton says with a smirk while he stares at Luke.

"Did you really just fucking say that after I fucking punched you in the face?" Luke shout and pushes Ashton's chest causing him to stumble backwards. Ashton scoffs when he regains his balance and without a second thought his fist collides with Luke's cheek. I can't help but let out a scream as Luke falls onto his knees while he clutches the side of his face.

"Get out!" I scream at Ashton who's eyes seem to be filled with regret but I couldn't give a shit.

"Oh my God," I whisper when I drop to the floor next to Luke. I hold his face in my hands and a small smile pops onto his face.

"That was one hell of a punch." He chuckles quietly and I shake my head. I don't laugh with him because I'm too worried about the blood coming from his nose. We don't call any nurses to help, instead he sits on the toilet while I clean him up with a warm washcloth.

To my surprise he pulls me onto his lap so I'm straddling him and rests his forehead against mine.

"We're not taking a break," he tells me and I smile a small smile. I shake my head slowly and he smiles bigger. I kiss him softly taking my time paying lots of attention to his upper lip while I gently suck on it.

"Did he really sneak in through your window?" Luke asks when he pulls away. My cheeks start to heat and I drop eye contact with him.

"It was only a few times," I shrug. I know it was more than a few times seeing he snuck in more than twice a week while we were dating but I'll spare Luke the heartache.

"That's way to many times," Luke mumbles and I smile.

"Are you okay?" I ask and run my thumb across his bottom lip.

"Yeah," he tells me. When we finally get up from the bathroom it's because I have to pack the clothes I brought and items that were with me into a small brown leather duffle bag. Luke carries it while we walk to the parking lot. I'm wearing my converse and Luke's sweatpants and a plain black tee shirt.