Chapter Twenty-Six: Guardian of the Dead

Breathing heavily while leaning up against the wall, Shuhei clenched his teeth and cursed. That damn king had to send troops to his side of the Underworld dimension at the worst time. Not only that, he dared to send an 'ambassador' to negotiate the terms of his surrender of the Realm of the Dead to Guardian Zarmenthy. Like hell he would! He worked too hard and had come too far to even think of abandoning the people that he has sworn to watch over. To even think of it now was unfathomable.

"Over my dead body you will take my kingdom, Guardian Zarmenthy..."

"Let's hope you can keep that promise."

Shuhei turned to his trusted adviser and friend.

Apophis, Egyptian God of Destruction.

At first, Shuhei questioned why the god even stuck around. Especially since he is not in the right country. Apophis was a good friend of another god and goddess in Japan though, so the others of his pantheon allowed him to visit whenever he wanted just as long he kept his temper and powers in check. Apophis was not someone to anger lightly, even the ambassador Zarmenthy sent was afraid to anger the god and spoke in a very careful manner while confronting them.

As ruthless and capricious Apophis is, he actually does care the select few that got to know him. Shuhei was one of those people and soon became his adviser and second in command of the undead army.

"You know I fully intend to make sure that everyone is safe. He was able to catch us off guard because we never thought he would attack so soon. Hopefully, the others weren't harmed when he attacked them."

"I haven't heard of any other realms besides your's, the Realm of Shadows, the Realm of Poison, and the Realm of Crystals and Gems being attacked by Zarmenthy."

"I get the other two, but the Realm of Crystals?"

"The Realm of Crystals has the strongest defense in all of the realms. Just as you have the strongest offence. Zarmenthy must be attacking the Realm of Crystals as that either he can learn their secrets into their defense system or get of more than half the population so no one can protect you four from seeking protection there."

Shuhei will admit that those two reasons are the most likely. However, the Guardian of the Underworld will have a hard time completing the task of wiping out more than half of their population if what Apophis said is true. So the most likely thing is that he is forcing the people to give up their secrets, again good luck with that.

"Whatever the case, we need to make sure that our realm is secured. We have lost many today. Let's hope we don't lose more."

Shuhei led the way down the halls of his once beautiful palace. Instead of pristine grey walls and intricately craved Gothic style walls and arches, the palace was in shambles of torn wallpaper and arches supporting holes from the battle.

His heart contorted in pain at seeing his home like this. Only been here for 7 years in realm time, and it felt like his old home has been attacked and leveled by hollows. He'll worry about repairs later, for now he must focus on his people and made sure everyone was alright and the dead given a proper burial.

Few hours later, Shuhei was in the outdoor garden and sitting on one of the black iron benches in the rose bed. In his hand was the report Apophis gave to him only a few minutes ago. Already, bad news of missing, dead, injured and the like are listed. So many families have lost friends and family to the attack, and he was partially to blame. If only he had been prepared. If only he had been more careful families would of still been together. If only he wasn't so useless!

"Beating yourself over this will not make it better."

"Easy for you to say, Shimisen."

The black she-wolf sat on the ground in front of him. Her bright red eyes glowing with concern and empathy for her master's sorrow.

"Do not focus on the past that could of been, and instead focus on now and help the ones in need."

"What if I fail again? I'm only a 7 years experienced Guardian, while with him it's a million plus more experience then I'll ever have."

"That is true, but that means you are more acceptable to knowing some abilities lost to him. You both maybe immortal Guardians but minds are different. He is old and with a vengeance grudge, you are new and attentive to learning everything you can. Use that to your advantage and you'll find your answers."

Shuhei relieved a breathy sigh. His companion's wisdom made perfect sense, but they both knew that even they will be mourning over their lost subjects and friends. Giving up was not an option. Neither was sitting here and being moody and reminiscence about what could of been just like Shimisen said.

"Alright, let's go--"

"Shuhei!"

The acknowledged Guardian looked behind him to see Apophis striding quickly his way.

"What's the matter? Another raid?"

Please don't let it be so...

"No, but it something that may help us in a long run."

Apophis held out his arm and a skeleton bird covered in silver flames landed on it. It was a messenger bird from the Realm of Flames, but who sent it? Shuhei did the same with his arm so the bird could jump on it. Tied to the bird's left leg was a paper note. He took the paper and read it. After a moment, Shuhei stood up slowly.

"You're right, Apophis. This is an opportunity. Ichigo has found a way for us to come together and plan out our own counter attack against the Underworld Guardian. Of course, he has also promise to help us if we are ever attacked again."

"Definitely sounds like the friend you've told me about."

"This is fantastic news," Shimisen said, even her tail was wagging slightly. "Now you will have a fighting chance!"

"Yes, this is very fortunate. We are to meet in the Astral Plane Garden on the night of the full moon, which is next week. Plenty of time to prepare."

"I'll will see to it that accommodations are made ready for the trip," Apophis volunteered.

"Thank you, but not a lot as I'm sure we won't be there long and make Guardian Zarmenthy suspicious."

"Of course, Guardian Shuhei."

"Alright, Shimisen, go check out the patrols for me. I have more work to do at the moment and I want no stone unturned until you have confirmed that the missing people are either dead or found."

"Yes, my companion master. Consider it done."

Shuhei vowed in his head that Zarmenthy will not get away with attacking his realm, and that he and the others were not easily brought down onto one knee. They were a team.